Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by ememic99 »

I added your aircraft to the table although I didn't know all the details (serial number, software version and autopilot).
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

With so much going on lately, I haven't provided an update in awhile. During this time, three more DA40 owners have signed up:

North Inlet Holdings (N376DS)
Jon (N489RS)
Attila M. (N557DS)

Welcome all!

Also, my thanks to Sam (HB-SDM) and Jon (N489RS) for their much appreciated comments. And finally to Emir (SEMAD) for his assistance during this very busy time.

The list now stands at 132 aircraft. To help us reach our goal of several hundred aircraft, please click here
NickBudd
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N483TS
Airports: LFPN LFMD

Post by NickBudd »

ScottSutton wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:47 pm Once again I would like to thank John Weber of Continental Motors for his continued and incredibly helpful support.
Scott, considering that the only reason that DAI is not cooperating is to discourage people from buying Continental engines, you would think that Mr Weber would be sympathetic and that Continental should be willing to financially assist Garmin to develop the STC. Continental has more to gain than Garmin considering the small size of the fleet.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

NickBudd wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:55 pmContinental has more to gain than Garmin considering the small size of the fleet.
Well, I don’t know what’s small or big fleet in GA terms but we have 132 aircrafts on our list and probably more than 250 aircrafts are affected. BTW Diamond earned some $100 million on these aircrafts. I believe that someone from Diamond should consider this fact and take care about upgrade path.
NickBudd
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N483TS
Airports: LFPN LFMD

Post by NickBudd »

Sadly that doesn’t seem to be the way they look at it.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Nick,

If John is back in his office this week I will be talking with him on a number of subjects. So I will add your “thinking outside the box” suggestion to my notes, even though it's a total long shot. Yet worth a try, so thank you.

Regarding John Weber and the petition list. He has already been very helpful to this effort in many ways, most recently by putting me in touch with a well connected contact regarding our plight. Which may yield some news worth sharing in the next few weeks.

Also, I don't believe John is in a position to make financial decisions on behalf of Continental Motors. I have yet to meet him in person, however my impression of John is that he is a dedicated professional. And he has already demonstrated to me that he is, in fact, sympathetic to our cause and has on numerous occasions gone above and beyond the call of duty to assist me with his timely advice. The G1000 petition effort has been no exception to this.

“Continental has more to gain than Garmin considering the small size of the fleet.”

You make an interesting point. Although it would seem Garmin has a lot to gain, in that every legacy G1000 owner is a potential NXi upgrade customer. As it's only a matter of time when the parts availability becomes an increasingly greater and greater concern for the older systems. If were not already there.

Also, by this same reasoning of incentive (on the part of an engine manufacturer) - Lycoming powered Diamonds haven't fared much better. Of the 83 DA40's on the petition list, 78 are flying behind IO-360's. Interestingly enough, not a single Lycoming powered DA42 has signed up - even though it appears this variant doesn't have the highest level of G1000 software either – which, according to CFIDave, is GDU version 15.xx

Additionally, out of the 132 aircraft on the list, only 42 have Continental diesel engines (27 CD-135 & 15 CD-155's). Which is additional proof that Diamond is not picking solely on the Continental diesel owners, the problem is clearly much more pervasive.

To state the obvious, once a TAA aircraft leaves the factory ongoing software support becomes a buyer beware proposition.

And in my humble opinion, Garmin can't be completely blameless for letting the situation deteriorate to this point. Although they do have a good excuse, but exactly for how much longer before Garmin starts to put some serious pressure on DAI? As this issue should have long since been addressed in a proactive manner - with the two companies working together to solve a problem they alone created. And not even DAI can claim their a poverty case, as Emir points out above.
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

I wonder what the situation is with Cessna owners of G1000 aircraft. Like Diamond Cessna was a relatively early G1000 user and for a while built the same G1000/KAP140 Non-WAAS combination for 172s, 182s and 206s that has the worst software issues in Diamonds. If they are NOT having the same problems with upgrades, maybe there's something to be learned that would help Diamond owners gain improved software.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

ScottSutton wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:41 am Interestingly enough, not a single Lycoming powered DA42 has signed up
There are only about a dozen or so Lycoming DA42s flying -- many were Embry-Riddle U planes that were converted from Thielert to Lycoming back when Thielert went bankrupt and their engines had multiple technical issues. (ERU in Daytona Beach, FL has since replaced these with Austro DA42-VI aircraft; ERU has Austro DA42NGs in Prescott, AZ.) Given the relatively small number of Lycoming DA42 owners, it's not surprising that none have signed the petition.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

blsewardjr wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:31 pm I wonder what the situation is with Cessna owners of G1000 aircraft. Like Diamond Cessna was a relatively early G1000 user and for a while built the same G1000/KAP140 Non-WAAS combination for 172s, 182s and 206s that has the worst software issues in Diamonds. If they are NOT having the same problems with upgrades, maybe there's something to be learned that would help Diamond owners gain improved software.
Cessna 172/182/206 aircraft all use the same "Nav III" G1000 configuration. It seems that the latest version of this software for KAP140 as well as GFC700 Cessnas is GDU 13.03 from 2013. See http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-00498-08_0A_Web.pdf
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Post by vontresc »

So just out of curiosity, have we heard any news from the folks at diamond regarding an update???