Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Bartek
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bartek
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: D-GJHO
Airports: EPOM

Re: TDI owners: outdated Garmin G1000 software (version 9.05)

Post by Bartek »

I think I can concur what Emir said…
In some Mai/June I was in touch with the management of Diamond, asking if after Mr. Dries sell of the company to the Wanfeng group the new owners plan any changes in Diamond’s approach towards TDI planes.
Was assured than that they are aware of the problem in this area and plan some substantial changes in the company’s policy. Just asked for some time for sorting things out and similarly to what Emir learned – end of the year was mentioned as the time of coming to us with some good news.
So let’s see, end of the year approaching soon, crossing fingers for end of this Dries/Theilert trauma, high time for that.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Encouraging news indeed Bartek and thank you for your hopeful message that dovetails with Emir's most recent post!
NickBudd
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N483TS
Airports: LFPN LFMD

Post by NickBudd »

Sen Inhofe is on the Senate Transportation Committee, overseeing the FAA, and a member of the General Aviation Caucus. His son was killed recently in an aviation accident. He is a pilot and well known advocat for GA safety. I bet if he received a persuasive letter from a constituent representing DA42 TDI owners Sen Inhofe would ask the FAA to investigate and to pressure Diamond to cooperate. If no good news is coming from Diamond within the next three months I would be happy to draft the letter.
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

NickBudd wrote:I am not an antitrust expert but my guess is that under normal conditions the likelihood that the FTC would devote resources to investigating a claim for 250 aircraft owners is small to none, however considering what is going on with China maybe the fact that Diamond is Chinese-owned and has no manufacturing in the US could get someone’s attention. If Diamond receives a notice that the FTC is launching an investigation I’m sure Diamond would react immediately. Another thought, maybe there is a Diamond owner in Oklahoma that could write to Sen Inhofe who might be willing to write to the FTC (aviation/safety issue/Chinese company). That would be sure to get the attention of the FTC.
It would be ironic if Sen. Inhofe helped out. The reason I bought a DA40 with a Thielert engine was to do my bit for reducing my CO2 footprint, and Inhofe is the guy who took a snowball into the Senate to "prove" that global warming is a myth! :scratch:

Anyway, I was reading yesterday that Cirrus are celebrating their 7000th SR2x, while we are struggling to get 250 owners to sign a petition. It rams home the consequences of Dries' failure to embrace marketing and customer relations.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

As for getting more Diamond Aircraft owners to have their name added to our list, I sent an email yesterday to G1000 expert and avionics author Max Trescott. Asking if on the next episode of his highly rated podcast he'd kindly give this thread a quick mention by directing Diamond Aircraft owners to check in with us on this important discussion.

For those who have yet to experience Max's terrific podcast, please be sure to download his app – available on both Android and IOS platforms. It's a great show for pilots - regardless of experience level. To learn more - here's the link: https://aviationnewstalk.com/
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Bartek wrote:So let’s see, end of the year approaching soon, crossing fingers for end of this Dries/Theilert trauma, high time for that.
Bartek, I assume Scott can add your name and aircraft on the list.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

You can certainly add me to the list:

Rick N171PS DA40

and the 2 other DA40's at my local flight school who are not represented on this forum but also looking for software upgrades:

Rick N395JP DA40
Rick N504MA DA40
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Scott,

Sure go ahead and put me down as lost potential customer due to upgrade issue. I would put it under a separate list, so there is no overlap.

Tim
creativewebz
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Grant
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N415DS
Airports: KHSV

Post by creativewebz »

I am interested.
N415DS
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

7,000 Cirrus planes will pale in the face of what the market in China *should* become. And the folks that bought Diamond just shortcut a *huge* amount of development and will be the only people to offer a twin engine composite plane to the same market. Personally, if I were buying a plane in Asia, I would be really happy to have an airframe that didn't corrode and didn't need someone to sign off on the conditional of the metal wing spar (see also: flight school in Florida with wing separating from plane).

My hope is that the new Diamond will understand the advantage of a strong foundation of happy customers, where they have worked out the little problems with software upgrades, model differences, and documentation before they increase the fleet number by an order of magnitude. We'll see.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)