Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by ememic99 »

Scott, I see you added petition table to your signature :)
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

You're very observant Emir! Better late than never I guess (on my part) - and all thanks to a recent suggestion by Russ, with a technical assist from our fearless moderator Chris. Plus - once added to a signature line, it goes back and updates all of the posts by the participant.
startingovercfi
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: 39N

Post by startingovercfi »

ScottSutton wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:02 pm Yesterday Garmin's OEM manager and I spoke for the first time since he had returned from aero friedrichshafen. He has been extremely busy getting caught up and has been assigned some additional accounts, so he's stretched even more thin now.

Obviously there is not much anyone at Garmin can share until DAI makes an official announcement, which would include any timetable of when their legacy plans might even be forthcoming.

However, the best news to report is the G1000 petition (and verification numbers contained therein), were discussed at Garmin's recent meetings in Canada and Germany. He went on to say this information was both helpful and useful to the meeting participants in making important inventory decisions, by supplementing / contrasting with their own internal data. He sincerely thanked all of us who participated.

Here are the other big takeaways from my conversation with Zach:

1) The legacy aircraft have not been forgotten, far from it. Even leaving me with the impression Diamond values these aircraft and their owners. Which upon further reflection I took this as a very positive sign that this is coming straight from the top, such as CEO Scott MacFadzean.

2) He also reassured me the two companies are working diligently to examine possible solutions, and mentioned it's not easy given the multitude of equipment and engine combinations.

3) When passing along the annual subscription idea (for software updates & hardware upgrades) it seemed to be well received. Although it wasn't clear to me if this was already being considered or not.

Six and half months into this project, I fully realize the continued waiting for official news is tough on anyone who has been closely following this thread. Yet after this conversation, I believe patience is still the operative word and the best path to follow. As difficult as this is to do (myself included)!

Finally, I failed to mention recently, when Jean Mardaga (N446DC) added his aircraft, he bumped the total DA40 count up to 100! While the total aircraft number stands at 154.
Thanks for this update. I agree it is hard to wait like this, but it is encouraging to know we are not being entirely neglected.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

I very much appreciate your post Jeff! It should also be noted, that after numerous interactions with Garmin's OEM manager to DAI (and others), we, as Diamond aircraft owners, are most fortunate to have such a talented, well educated and genuinely high quality person serving in this capacity.

Changing subjects entirely - would the forum member who recently modified the column (headers) and rows in the spreadsheet, please send me a quick PM. I'm trying to figure out exactly what you were trying to accomplish and I'm a little hard pressed for time right now. Thanks!

BTW - great username you came up with there Jeff.
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

ScottSutton wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:02 pm Yesterday Garmin's OEM manager and I spoke for the first time since he had returned from aero friedrichshafen. He has been extremely busy getting caught up and has been assigned some additional accounts, so he's stretched even more thin now.

Obviously there is not much anyone at Garmin can share until DAI makes an official announcement, which would include any timetable of when their legacy plans might even be forthcoming.

However, the best news to report is the G1000 petition (and verification numbers contained therein), were discussed at Garmin's recent meetings in Canada and Germany. He went on to say this information was both helpful and useful to the meeting participants in making important inventory decisions, by supplementing / contrasting with their own internal data. He sincerely thanked all of us who participated.

Here are the other big takeaways from my conversation with Zach:

1) The legacy aircraft have not been forgotten, far from it. Even leaving me with the impression Diamond values these aircraft and their owners. Which upon further reflection I took this as a very positive sign that this is coming straight from the top, such as CEO Scott MacFadzean.

2) He also reassured me the two companies are working diligently to examine possible solutions, and mentioned it's not easy given the multitude of equipment and engine combinations.

3) When passing along the annual subscription idea (for software updates & hardware upgrades) it seemed to be well received. Although it wasn't clear to me if this was already being considered or not.

Six and half months into this project, I fully realize the continued waiting for official news is tough on anyone who has been closely following this thread. Yet after this conversation, I believe patience is still the operative word and the best path to follow. As difficult as this is to do (myself included)!

Finally, I failed to mention recently, when Jean Mardaga (N446DC) added his aircraft, he bumped the total DA40 count up to 100! While the total aircraft number stands at 154.
Sounds like your persistent hard work and petition is getting "noticed"!! Congrats Scott and everyone on the petition!!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

CFIDave » wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:40 pm
For the G1000, "obsolete" LRUs like GIA63s will continue to be repaired by Garmin. They can ship replacement LRUs overnight if you ship your failed unit back to them (so Garmin can maintain an inventory of repaired units).
This post is for documentation purposes and was prompted by looking at the high percentage of KAP-140 equipped aircraft listed on the spreadsheet.

Which is:
the NXi has the technical capability to interface with the KAP-140, with a major caveat being the NXi requires a LRU WAAS box (i.e. GIA 63W). As both of these hardware compatibility items were confirmed yesterday by Garmin.

Here's some final news for today:
1) this thread has now exceeded 25,000 views
2) the spreadsheet has been returned to normal. All thanks to an anonymous member, which further reinforces John's point - this is a team effort!
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Welcome to Charbel (C-GLXL) for being the 101st DA40 to sign up. I believe this makes only the 5th Canadian registered aircraft to join the ranks, as we close in on 160 total aircraft (157 a/o today). BTW, should any of our northern neighbors on the list happen to live reasonably close to the London factory, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

* Per wikipedia - "Only C-F, C-G and C-I are allocated to Canada".
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Today Doug (DA42 / N149WT) asked an interesting question about some abbreviations he noticed on the inset of his PFD (NR-U x m[inutes] & NR-C x m[inutes]). Because his posting has some relevance to this thread, here's a link to it (for documentation purposes, if nothing else):

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6885
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Since the G1000 petition was tinkered with twice in as many weeks and without any prior discussion, it has unfortunately become time to change the access level to “view only”. For owners who would like to add their legacy DA40 or DA42, please send me a PM. Thanks!
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

For example, this year Diamond Canada is restarting production of Lycoming DA40s, and these will ship with G1000 NXi. This means there will almost certainly be a way for legacy G1000 Lycoming DA40 owners to retrofit their aircraft to NXi, albeit at a high cost that may be prohibitive* for many owners. CFI Dave
The June 2019 edition of “The Aviation Consumer” just hit my mailbox this afternoon. This month's issue has an in-depth article about the retrofitted Grumman Tiger with G3X touch displayS. It appears to me the entire analog Diamond fleet can now opt for equipping their aircraft with a glass panel, as the AML now EVEN includes the DA20 and DA40:

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/sa01899wi_aml.pdf

Since I'm not very familiar with all of the DA40 models, one big question comes to mind, which is:

Does this now also allow the legacy G1000 DA40's owners to consider this exciting option as well?

If so, it would be at a fraction of the cost of any possible future NXi / GFC700 upgrade options. Certainly this is great news for the all steam gauge / six pack owners!

*As such a cost effective option has been on my mind ever since the Garmin announcement at Aero earlier last month, and even more so after CFI Dave wrote the above back in on May 13th.