Approved flight simulators

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N239DS
Airports: KLWM

Approved flight simulators

Post by Steven »

I understand that the FAA regulations have changed recently to allow IFR approaches in a flight simulator to be logged without a CFI present. But I can't find any clear guidance on which flight simulators can be used for valid loggable approaches. Specifically, I'm trying to figure out if there are affordable home-based flight sims that could be used for the job. Anyone know?
shorton
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N68MJ
Airports: KSNA

Re: Approved flight simulators

Post by shorton »

It has to be at least an aviation training device, which is defined in 61.1 as a training device which is approved by the (FAA) Administrator. So, not Microsoft flight simulator or X plane running on your home computer, but I think there are some devices in the $5-10k range. I think Redbird makes one. The manufacturer needs to have a letter of approval from the FAA and you need to have a copy if you buy the ATD.
Scott Horton, JD CPA
ATP, FAA Gold Seal CFI, CFII, MEI
https://orangecountyflightinstruction.com
KSNA, Orange County, CA
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I used to be a partner in a Redbird FMX. Good for practicing IFR work and approved for self-currency activities. Using such a simulator offers more flexible opportunities for practice than being limited by circumstances in your own local area - circumstances such as what approaches are available, traffic and ATC limitations and last but not least: weather. I did find that the simulator was often NOT accurate in duplicating the actual flight characteristics of the aircraft it is nominally supposed to be simulating. For IFR work this isn't normally terribly important, but it is a caution.

I'm not sure how this would work with their smaller simulators, but keeping nav data updated in the FMX required a maintenance contract with Redbird which in our case was based on hours of use. They would connect in to it for this and other software updates.

BTW, at the heart of Redbird simulators is a PC running Windows :roll:
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Registration: N239DS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Steven »

A quick look at the Redbird website shows the Jay and TD models as possibly being practical as home-based flight simulators. Though they aren't explicit about it, it seems like the Jay is not an FAA aviation training device but the TD is. At $6995 it's quite an investment though.