Diamond Aircraft Owner's Seminars/Panels/Training/Fly-ins?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

SavageB
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N649DA
Airports: 50F

Diamond Aircraft Owner's Seminars/Panels/Training/Fly-ins?

Post by SavageB »

Hello all,

I'm a brand new DA42-VI owner and just picked up my plane a week ago from the factory in London. I was speaking with the reps there and asking if there were any Diamond "training/seminars/fly-ins" other than the airshow in London each Sept (there are not).

As they are working on their websites to combine them have a a little online social presence, I suggested maybe they should have some events. So... my question to the owners is: What type of event would you like to see Diamond or the Diamond dealer's sponsor/produce/offer to the owners that you would consider going to and what would it be worth (what would you consider a reasonable fee? Since I'm still learning the NXI, my first one would be a weekend deep dive into the NXI panel, how you use it and the multiple ways you can do the same thing....
rdrobson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N84LT
Airports: KFAR

Re: Diamond Aircraft Owner's Seminars/Panels/Training/Fly-ins?

Post by rdrobson »

Good question. When I was shopping for my aircraft, one item that really appealed to my wife from Cirrus was their very strong promotion of Cirrus Life Ventures or something like that where several owners would get together along with a factory rep and go to some destination together like the Bahamas or Churchill, MB, etc. Thankfully, the DA62 appealed to her more than the the destinations programs, but I think something like that would be fun.

--Ron
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

A few years after I bought my DA 40, we had a local Diamondfest, sponsored by the local Diamond service center (no longer). It was at Stinson airport in San Antonio (KSSF), and was, as I recall, 2 days long. Various seminars, presentation by a fellow from PowerFlow (just after they got their DA 40 STC). It was a lot of fun. I'm definitely up for this kind of activity.

Steve
Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N239DS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Steven »

Steve wrote:A few years after I bought my DA 40, we had a local Diamondfest, sponsored by the local Diamond service center (no longer). It was at Stinson airport in San Antonio (KSSF), and was, as I recall, 2 days long. Various seminars, presentation by a fellow from PowerFlow (just after they got their DA 40 STC). It was a lot of fun. I'm definitely up for this kind of activity.

Steve
I helped organize that one. I may still have a picture of dinner on the Riverwalk. Feels like many years ago now. It was fun. I’d help with another one though now that I’m in Massachusetts a near-future winter date is not practical.

As far as I know Diamond Aircraft has never organized a social, fly-in, or educational event of any kind.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Anyone can tag along on those Cirrus trips. They are happy to have other pilots.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Hi Brian,

With regards to learning the G1000 system, Max Trescott's book on the subject* is considered by countless pilots as essential reading when transitioning to this avionics suite:

https://www.amazon.com/Trescotts-G1000- ... 0977703002

Perhaps Max will eventually be able to find the time to publish an edition that covers the increased capabilities of the NXi. Yet the most current edition of his (legacy) G1000 book should give anyone in a similar situation a great foundation and a solid working knowledge of the system – regardless of the hardware / software combination one happens to own.

Also, I just checked Garmin's website and they have several on-site G1000 / G1000 NXi pilot training seminars scheduled for next year in Olathe, Kansas:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/160237

Best wishes in your endeavor, as this type of training be a lot of fun!

Scott

* Max's book also makes for a terrific refresher / reference source, even long after one has mastered the system. As “buttonology” skills can decline rapidly - even with only a relatively short layoff from flying, such as after any prolonged maintenance work.
SavageB
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N649DA
Airports: 50F

Post by SavageB »

Thanks for the NXI info. That was really a suggestion for a topic relating specifically to our aircraft. Would love to hear from others that may have attended other events or specifically what they would like to see offered.

Thanks! Brian
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Back to the OP’s question.

The Cirrus owners, through COPA organize the Cirrus events, probably with some support from Cirrus. My guess is that Diamond owners will need to do the same.

Max would probably present at an event if there was one, I’d be happy to ask him. Then we’d want other vendors, Diamond, dealers, etc. These things start out modest, then grow, especially as Diamond sells more planes in North America.

I suggest starting with a fly-in to a central location, with a reasonable expectation of good weather, and some product seminars and social events. Start small. It’s a lot of work, though a modest start can ease the load. I’d pay a aero unit.

Let’s start listing who has an interest in Diamond. Owners, schools, etc. one Diamond factory rep, a dealer, and a couple of vendors or experts like Max and Mike Busch?

PS: Max also has a great podcast, with an app for iPhone and Android. Look for http://aviationnewstalk.com/.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

My apologies to Brian for drifting off topic*.

Thankfully Russ bailed me out by making a number of good points that more directly address your question. Yet who among us really has the time to take on such a large and open ended project?

So by way of lessening the burden of organizing an entire Diamond specific event, one idea would be to dovetail such a gathering with an AOPA regional event in 2019. Last June I was fortunate to have attended seminars by both Max and Mike at the Missoula, Montana Fly-in. They were both excellent and I hope AOPA invites them back again next year.

And if the article below holds true, AOPA is scaling back there regional fly-ins in 2019 to just two – with one on each coast. This change could potentially be to our logistical advantage by "only" having to put together a presentation tailored to the Diamond pilots in attendance – either once, yet preferably twice, next year.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... ur-airport

Just a thought. . . . .

*As everyone can probably tell - I'm a big fan of Max Trescott and just like Russ, I really enjoy listening to his weekly podcast.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I agree that it would be good to dovetail Diamond owners/pilots getting together before/after AOPA regional fly-in(s).

AOPA is planning at least 3 regional fly-ins for 2019. As one of this year's exhibitors, I was given embargoed info on the locations that I can't share. If I recall correctly, AOPA plans to announce fly-in locations and dates soon in January.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI