Grrr

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Grrr

Post by Rich »

A week of snow, persistent ice fog, runways closed, etc. makes for hangar queen for likely a month. Roof avalanche still pending.
Snowbound.jpg
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Re: Grrr

Post by krellis »

At least the Taco will get you anywhere you need to go ;)
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Coldest winter in memory up here but mostly serious blue skies. Then this morning we were hoping to make a short trip and we have our first snow storm with icey skys in a month! Argh! Life's not fair! Lol!
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

We just had the wettest and coldest February on record here in SoCal. That said, we were still able to fly three separate days. We normally use our plane 6 to 8 times a month. Hopefully we will have a warmer and dryer March.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Just completed a cross-country trip across the US from the Diamond factory in London, Ontario (0degF with ice fog the morning we arrived to pick up the plane) to California in a brand new DA40NG with its pilot new owner. We had to stay out of icy clouds, fight average headwinds of 25-30 knots down low (couldn't fly high without even worse headwinds), turbulence, and mountain waves. Most of the trip required using ADS-B In weather on the MFD to monitor AIRMETS for forecast icing and turbulence, and especially pireps for actual icing.

We were forced to fly IFR all the way south to the Mexican border before finding blue skies and warmer weather across southern Arizona. But even there we had to battle 40 knot headwinds at 10,000 feet. The trip took about 4 days.

Going home, I got to fly back east in an airliner doing more than 600 knots across the ground with tailwinds (I had my iPad running Foreflight with me back in coach). Crazy weather this year!

Next trip: Our DA62 to the Bahamas.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
linzhiming
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Registration: N799DS
Airports: EGLK

Post by linzhiming »

Same here in Europe with the jetstream essentially blowing exactly over Western Europe. It has been one low pressure system and weather front chasing the other, causing medium-to-severe icing conditions below 5,000 ft and strong gale force surface level winds (let alone conditions in higher altitudes) across Western Europe every other day.

I normally do a flight from the UK to Germany at least once a month but haven't been able or willing to do so as (a) I would not be avoid icing levels on the outbound flight or (b) it was unclear whether conditions would prevent me from being able to fly the aircraft back on the inbound day.

The forecast models (GFS, ECMWF, ICON) etc being often wrong beyond 2-3 days on either speed of low pressure system, weather front passage or degree of atmospheric saturation above the freezing level makes it almost impossible to plan ahead.

See example of today's situation attached.
Attachments
r96swc00.pdf
(320.08 KiB) Downloaded 107 times