BluLink

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

BluLink

Post by Rich »

I installed one of these today. The primary reason is so I can get audio alerts (and music) from Foreflight into my Bose X headset, which has no provision for auxiliary inputs. The additional benefit is I removed the audio cable connection between my Clarity Aloft headset and the iPad, for when I want to use the CA. The third theoretical/future advantage is looking ahead to a possible iPad upgrade to a unit that would lack an audio plug.

Initial test: works fine. Plug in, pair, and play. Then figure out the least obtrusive routing for the extra 2-3 ft. of cabling :scratch:
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Re: BluLink

Post by RMarkSampson »

Foreflight has music? Now that is a version I don't have!

I have a Lightspeed headset that Bluetooth's to my iPad or iPhone. With Foreflight running, I'll get audio callouts. I also have a Bluetooth link to a Garmin Flight Stream that connects to a GDL-84 ADS-B unit. That link gives me traffic displayed on my iPad/iPhone. I also have a Stratus II that connects via WiFi. The GDL-84 also has an audio link hardwired into the comm panel. All these connections offer redundancy that seems to help maintain more traffic awareness.

With multiple systems working the issue, you also need to recognize the voice to determine what unit is calling out the traffic. Not surprisingly, the algorithms are different so it never seems to be both of them squawking at the same time. Foreflight also has audio callouts for the runway, ASOS, 500 AGL etc. Luckily Foreflight has not figured out how to fully monitor the iPhone's motion sensor and start nagging me about my bumpy landings...
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

RMarkSampson wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:23 am Foreflight has music?
No, but the iPad does. In fact all my music is loaded in the iPad (and iPhone) and it constitutes the vast majority of data storage used - 30 GB. FF, with all the Western states loaded is a mere 6.5.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Copy that. I just flew up north last week in a bit of turbulence - "north" being Huntsville Alabama for this FL guy. Turns out, my iPad music has the added bonus of dampering turbulent transits. As I learned, a little bit of cockpit dancing goes a long way in countering the bumps in a light GA aircraft. Proactively bumping to the music counters the bumps you cannot see and avoid. Not quite a stick and rudder skill, just be sure to turn off your cockpit camera before executing this technique...
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

With recent changes by the FAA for getting clearances when departing from non-towered airports, I also need at times to be able to use my phone with the engine running. So I wondered whether I could also use this thing with my phone. The answer is yes, though not both at the same time. This is OK, since I don't ordinarily use the phone with the plane in motion. I paired each of the devices individually and now just enable BT on the device I want to use and disable it on the other. Unless it's an exceptional circumstance this action is done with the plane on the ground and not in motion.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Just to drift the thread, yesterday I watched a you tube video showing the integration between a Flight Stream and FF, with respect to loading and modifying flight plans. Very cool, especially when one has GNS units that have no concept of airways. Looking into it. One challenge might be finding a spot for it behind the panel.