Autopilot/Electric Trim Circuit Breaker

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Autopilot/Electric Trim Circuit Breaker

Post by Steve »

reinhardj wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:52 pm There is a FAA SAFO regarding black and white collars as they can cause confusion about the CB status (SAFO 14006).
I read that advisory, and I believe that it refers to using Ty-Wraps to make circuit breakers off/inoperative. Their explanation of why this could be bad is right-on. That is one reason I use these:
9236_4.jpg
9236_4.jpg (15.34 KiB) Viewed 776 times
when I have to fly with a particular circuit inactivated.

Steve
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Re: Autopilot/Electric Trim Circuit Breaker

Post by TwinStarScott »

Several years ago, I decided to color code the CB panel by system, while in some cases attempting to add a memory aid too - such as:

White is lights
Green for gear
Blue = Avionics / G1000 (as in Garmin Blue)
Red for critical items - A/P / fuel reserves / continued flight in IMC conditions near the freezing level. . .

This might be viewed as overkill by some, yet if flying single-pilot in IMC, a color coding scheme committed to memory can allow for more quickly identifying the area of failure from the left seat.

On a related note, after attending a webinar around this same time by the now 2019 National Instructor of the Year (Gary Reeves), my thinking changed back then on the topic of circuit breakers.

Which is:
to never reset a CB in-flight and to perform any further troubleshooting once safely on the ground.

https://pilotsafety.org/