Folding Electric Bikes

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Folding Electric Bikes

Post by Sandy »

I just received, and read, the latest issue of Aviation Cnnsumer which included an article about folding electric bikes. Interestingly, one was pictured in the article alongside a DA40NG. While the ones that were the subject of the article are sold by a company called Jupiter Bike, like many of the ones that are seen at air shows like Sun N Fun and Oshkosh, they are actually Chinese imports that are available for import at significantly lower prices than those shown in the article. So, I was wondering whether anyone on the forum has had any experiences traveling with a folding electric bike. Pros? Cons?

Also, if anyone is interested in a group purchase please message me, and if there's sufficient interest maybe we cn do a group purchase.

Sandy
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Re: Folding Electric Bikes

Post by TimS »

Sandy,

I might be interested in an electric folding bike.

Tim
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

I turned my Brompton into an electric and travel / use it all over the place. It works in the DA40 and on airliners. Some people even put them into overhead bins (on Southwest). The bike itself is electric in front and human-driven in back. The only issue I have is that I use a modular battery system that allows for N number of 98 kwh batteries in line and travel regulations limit them to one per passenger.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

My wife and I travel with full size Montague folding bikes in our DA40. Not electric but very handy nonetheless.
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

My wife and I have Brompton’s. They are truly incredible bikes. Way to many positive attributes to get into here. They are the only foldable I would ever consider. But, why would anyone want a self propelled portable? It kind of goes against the whole point of having a portable fold up bike.
dwall
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Doug
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N149WT
Airports: KEDJ

Post by dwall »

I whole heartedly agree with Tommy. My wife and I also have the Brompton's and love them. We have found them to be a great way to meet people as well. They are such an oddity people often approach us and want to talk about the bikes and see how they fold to such a compact size. Two big thumbs up for the Brompton's!