The G1000 project - "The next step"

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: The G1000 project - "The next step"

Post by Boatguy »

ememic99 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:41 pm
CFIDave wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:53 pm The bottom line: In about 2 weeks he intends to provide a written response addressing all of the points raised in the letter.
Let's remind everybody that "about 2 weeks" have just been passed. Actually a bit more; more like 2.5 weeks.
Five weeks and counting since DAI received a request from 150 owners.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

I don’t count and I don’t trust DAI anymore. They can do whatever they want and they can announce whatever they want. I’m not interested any more. For me this is the end of story. I’m not wasting my time on DAI. It’s just layer of promises on top of previous layer of promises. By their behavior I can say that they are clueless what to do with this initiative and they simply play exhausting game. From now on all initiative supporters should simply advise potential owners to forget DAI and choose other manufacturer.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

ememic99 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:21 pm From now on all initiative supporters should simply advise potential owners to forget DAI and choose other manufacturer.
I agree with everything you say ... except for this last sentence. I gave my name to the list in order to push for future software upgrades, but not to turn it into a burn down the manufacturer and ecosystem. I enjoy my airplane, have been able to do the upgrades that I need to (e.g. ADS-B), and would recommend the airplane to anyone who asks (and maybe a few who haven't). The airplane functions fine and the manufacturer has been able to service and provide parts whenever I have needed.

I do not agree that the lack of software updates (on boxes that work fine) needs to turn into a "pox on all their houses" that helps to destroy the resale value of our properties.

Trust me when I say that Cirrus, Bendix/King, Textron, Garmin, and many (if not all) other manufacturers have their issues.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

You may or may not agree but I won’t spare a minute of my time to any communication with DAI until receiving an apology for their ignorant behavior. If two entities communicate and one expresses dissatisfaction while other promises to correct the issue and then simply ignore even the minimum of professional behavior, what else you can do except to advice others to stay away?
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

ememic99 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:21 pm I don’t count and I don’t trust DAI anymore. They can do whatever they want and they can announce whatever they want. I’m not interested any more. For me this is the end of story. I’m not wasting my time on DAI. It’s just layer of promises on top of previous layer of promises. By their behavior I can say that they are clueless what to do with this initiative and they simply play exhausting game. From now on all initiative supporters should simply advise potential owners to forget DAI and choose other manufacturer.
I say this with much regret, but this was the last straw for me too, so I've sold my DA40 and have no intention to buy another aircraft from Diamond. Such a shame that, after all these years, they still don't get the point of maintaining good customer relations. They'll need recommendations from existing and repeat buyers to keep first timers coming through the doors, but Cirrus are beating them hands down at that. Maybe they now expect to make most sales to a captive market in China, so the new management has cynically decided to carry on with the customer unfriendly policies of their predecessors in Austria.
Thomas
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: D-ENMA 40.337
Airports: LSZC BUOCHS SWITZERLAND

Post by Thomas »

I believe they focus now on the huge trainer market. The private GA owner is no business case anymore for diamond.
Thomas Bienz DA40-180 40.337 D-ENMA (sold 08/2022)
Home Airport LSZC Buochs Switzerland
PeterK
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports:

Post by PeterK »

Thomas wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:12 am I believe they focus now on the huge trainer market. The private GA owner is no business case anymore for diamond.
Well, then this begs a question for me: what are my options for the first airplane? Except Cessna 172. I'd like 4 passengers , but can live with 2, 500-600nm range and low (comparatively) maintenance cost.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

The signatories received this email today, per Scott McFadzean:

- - - - - - - - - - -

Dear All,

My apologies for the delayed response, but we are still working a few details internally and with Garmin. We have a global coordination meeting with Garmin in Austria the week of September 9th, where we will complete the final review and coordinated response. I will get back to you formally with our response after that meeting.

Best Regards,
Scott

- - - - - - - - - - -

Please note the following:
Almost immediately after the signatories received the above email, we were given permission directly from the CEO to share this update on DAN. We sincerely appreciate Scott's candor and wiliness to communicate openly with us. Especially on this subject of such great interest, speculation and anticipation.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I know there is a lot of well earned skepticism here, but this suggests that DAI and Garmin are working on the issues. We know there are a lot of nuances involving model variations, autopilots, and certified hardware and software, spanning at least the last 12 years. DAI needs to address everything from non-WAAS planes with KAP140's, to two year old DA62's with NXi Phase 1, and virtually new NXi Phase 2 planes that are still missing numerous features available on other NXi equipped aircraft.

Meetings frequently raise as many issues as they solve and I suspect September 9 will not put all the issues to bed. I'm willing to be optimistic for another month and look forward to the "coordinated response" in late September.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

PeterK wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:23 pm
Thomas wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:12 am I believe they focus now on the huge trainer market. The private GA owner is no business case anymore for diamond.
Well, then this begs a question for me: what are my options for the first airplane? Except Cessna 172. I'd like 4 passengers , but can live with 2, 500-600nm range and low (comparatively) maintenance cost.
Unless you are in a rush; if you like Diamond I would just wait a month or two.
Other major choices are Cirrus, Piper, Mooney and Beech.

Tim