The G1000 project - "The next step"

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Re: The G1000 project - "The next step"

Post by pietromarx »

Rick wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:53 pm
CFIDave wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:47 pm
Ultrapilot1 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:04 pmSo if I can find a GIA63W any idea what other costs are involved in upgrading the G1000 in the DA40 (2005) to WAAS?
You'll also need new GPS antennas compatible with WAAS.
...and some new G1000 software...
The software is free for this. It is really just an issue of getting new boxes (LRUs), antennas, and, if memory serves, a new display (bezel change). I upgraded a 2004 a long time ago and it was stupid expensive for the hardware and installation (emphasis on dumb as I have rarely *needed* WAAS where I fly), but the software was easy and, well, free.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

...and some new G1000 software...
and wouldn't this be simply new software for the airplane? And not some new software release from DAI, with newly added Garmin features - just verifying. . . .

So, for the DA40, that would be an update to GDU version 12.03 or 12.05 (depending upon A/P type, KAP140 vs. GFC700?)

Since this has gone unreported to date on the G1000 petition for the DA42, we can reference this PDF file courtesy of Garmin's OEM manager (to DAI):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2WuKW ... FNnNj/view

Which also yields GDU version 12.05 for the DA42 NG. Glancing quickly over all the added features with 12.05, the one that leaps out is "User defined holding patterns". At least one of these listed legacy features will likely never come to fruition for the DA42's: FIS-B Weather and another has not been fully realized - "bluetooth connectivity".

Also mentioned in the above link, GDU version 9.05 was initially released nearly eleven years ago (2/19/09) and before the ipad was introduced (April 2010).
reinhardj
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Reinhard
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: DEWDI
Airports: EDWQ

Post by reinhardj »

I want to remind, that a group of DA40 owners was not considered in the last discussions. The DA40TDI owners were the first launching customers for the G1000 in GA but are now completely left standing in the rain. Although only a small number of owners have joined the petition, approx. 350 DA40 TDI have been built. These owners are stuck since 2006 at GDU software version 5 without any chance to get a WAAS update (not even software!) from DA although newer software was available for DA40 produced in China. But this was not approved for operation in EASA countries (although certified by EASA for China!!!!). So it seems as if DA wanted to punish owners using Thielert engines.. For a while an STC was available through URBE, but now, as the GIA63W is not available any more, this option is not available.
I also read the letter from DA, that the DA40 TDI is not included in their upgrade philosophy (no WAAS etc.). So also for these owners the next step would be to replace the G1000 completely.
Reinhard
DA40D, S/N D4.338
G1000, GDU 12.03, WAAS, GTX 345, SVT, Safetaxi, PilotPak
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

reinhardj wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:44 pm I want to remind, that a group of DA40 owners was not considered in the last discussions. The DA40TDI owners were the first launching customers for the G1000 in GA but are now completely left standing in the rain. Although only a small number of owners have joined the petition, approx. 350 DA40 TDI have been built. These owners are stuck since 2006 at GDU software version 5 without any chance to get a WAAS update (not even software!) from DA although newer software was available for DA40 produced in China. But this was not approved for operation in EASA countries (although certified by EASA for China!!!!). So it seems as if DA wanted to punish owners using Thielert engines.. For a while an STC was available through URBE, but now, as the GIA63W is not available any more, this option is not available.
I also read the letter from DA, that the DA40 TDI is not included in their upgrade philosophy (no WAAS etc.). So also for these owners the next step would be to replace the G1000 completely.
This is an excellent point. With 350 airplanes out there, this is also a sizable community for modern general aviation.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

reinhardj wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:44 pm Although only a small number of owners have joined the petition, approx. 350 DA40 TDI have been built. These owners are stuck since 2006 at GDU software version 5 without any chance to get a WAAS update (not even software!) from DA although newer software was available for DA40 produced in China.
It seems you’re in worse situation than DA42 TDI owners. That’s why low response to our petition looks more surprising. It would be interesting to compare forum users database with owners database.
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

reinhardj wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:44 pm I want to remind, that a group of DA40 owners was not considered in the last discussions. The DA40TDI owners were the first launching customers for the G1000 in GA but are now completely left standing in the rain. Although only a small number of owners have joined the petition, approx. 350 DA40 TDI have been built. These owners are stuck since 2006 at GDU software version 5 without any chance to get a WAAS update (not even software!) from DA although newer software was available for DA40 produced in China. But this was not approved for operation in EASA countries (although certified by EASA for China!!!!).
Last February, I emailed Urbe to ask how much they would charge to install their 12.03 software in my DA40D, but they never replied. I believe it's the same as that approved for China, so it might be worth your while trying to contact them again.
reinhardj
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Reinhard
Aircraft Registration: DEWDI
Airports: EDWQ

Post by reinhardj »

Keith, the Urbe/EASA STC 10048316 included the upgrade to WAAS, it did not allow to install just the software without WAAS hardware. So I think it is not available any more as the GIA63W is not available any more.
The Urbe WAAS upgrade was only installed in a small quantity of DA40D, mostly due to the price (approx. 24.000€).
The advantage was not only WAAS, but due to the GDU step from version 5.02 to 12.03 also the other "new" features like SVT, SafeTaxi and ChartView were supported as confirmed by Urbe. Nevertheless a number of Garmin standard features like logging, database sync etc. are not supported.
Reinhard
DA40D, S/N D4.338
G1000, GDU 12.03, WAAS, GTX 345, SVT, Safetaxi, PilotPak
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

It seems you’re in worse situation than DA42 TDI owners. That’s why low response to our petition looks more surprising.
Added these quick subtotals today to the G1000 petition:

DA40 TDI (CD-155) 5
DA40 E4-A 1
DA40 IO-360 aircraft 101
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

reinhardj wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:12 pm Keith, the Urbe/EASA STC 10048316 included the upgrade to WAAS, it did not allow to install just the software without WAAS hardware.
That kind of pettiness makes me wonder for whose benefit those issuing the STCs work. It would be hard to justify that restriction on safety grounds.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Have a quick update for all DAN members:

Immediately after the New Year, we received an email from Scott McFadzean acknowledging our December 14th letter. The CEO has welcomed our suggestion to meet and to also make this a regular event.

As Diamond employees return from the Holiday recess, they will become fully staffed the week of the sixth and we’re looking forward to setting up a firm meeting date and location shortly thereafter.

This is indeed encouraging news and a great way to start off 2020! Please stay tuned for further details.