The G1000 project - "The next step"

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ZAV
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

Re: The G1000 project - "The next step"

Post by ZAV »

Boatguy wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:19 am The problem is why does DAI control what's in your airplane, when most other aircraft owners are free to decide what to put in their airplane? Why does DAI grant Garmin a monopoly on Diamond aircraft, to the detriment of their owners?

I understand what's in that for Garmin. I don't understand what's in that for DAI.

It’s always the money. My suspicion is the contract with Garmin is better with this certification setup. “Better” meaning they pay less for the avionics package.
JamesDS
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: James
Aircraft Registration: N730DS
Airports: KMCC

Post by JamesDS »

vontresc wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:40 pm After talking to Garmin, it would appear that the "upgrade" path for the non-WAAS G1000 owners does not exist at this time. While GIA63W owners can buy new screens for a mere $28k (whenever Garmin provides the software), us GIA63 owners are pretty much hosed. The Gamrin rep said that there is no path right now for non WAAS owners to go to the GIA64. So even if we wanted to spend $28k for the NXi screens we can't do so until we can scrounge a pair of GIA63W

<Sigh>
I have the same issue with my non-WAAS DA40. Virtually everyone cannot update software in the newer G1000 systems beyond that avialable in the year of manufacture. Thus, I have explored replacing the G1000 with Dynon Skyview certified systems, which are modern, well supported by Dynon, and far less expensive than Diamond upgrades. Scott at Diamond Canada sent a table of prices for upgrading the steam gauge DA40 to the latest NXI system for a cool $185,000 and replacing a KAP140 auto pilot with a GFC700 adds $65,000 if I recall. On the Dynon Skyview site, I priced the parts for two 10" screens, two radios, all engine sensors, wire harnesses premade, and two axis autopilot and came up with less than $25,000 with an estimated shop time of 75 to 150 hours. The system would also require an IFR certified navigator, such as Garmin GTN/GNS series or Avidyne IFD series, adding $6000 to $11,000 to that price. A new modern audio panel would add another $3000 to the parts list. Dynon has 20 shops around the country to do the installation, with others having done the training but waiting for enough orders to be listed by Dynon as certified for this work. Dynon has not yet done the AML-STC work for the DA40, but quickly responded to me when I sent an email. They note that the autopilot is a separate AML-STC, but I suspect that this could be done with a 337 form by the individual. For the sudden supply of low priced Diamonds on the market due to failing flight schools who lost their Chinese students, this might also be a very advantageous upgrade approach. For other Diamond owners, it would provide an option giving us the flexibility of most other certified piston planes. Note that Dynon already has about 600 certified planes with an AML-STC, and they pioneered this process with the FAA. For more details, see https://www.dynoncertified.com/index.php#features
2007 DA40XL GFC700 autopilot, Avidyne TAS 600, non-WAAS G1000 panel, software 0321.22
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

James, have you completed the Diamond survey? Hope so!
SavageB
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N649DA
Airports: 50F

Post by SavageB »

I think shirts are in order with the Diamond Logo and: "Diamond Aircraft-easiest aircraft to fly...hardest aircraft to own".
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

I think the 185K covered the latest NXI plus the GFC700 if I recall correctly - not that I think that is reasonable. I also like the idea of going Dynon. JamesDS - what year is yours. Mine is 2004 - first year G1000. Installed via STC and not a part of the type certificate. Could you check your logbooks and see if yours was also installed via STC or is yours a part of the type certificate. I wonder when that classification changed. My contention is that I should be able to remove the G1000 and replace with anything that is STC's for the steam guage DA40 - like the cheaper Garmin units or the Dynon, etc.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

Charles-

Mine is a 2005 S/N 40.511 (non-WAAS G1000) and has a factory logbook entry that says:

"Garmin Integrated Avionics System installed per STC No. SA01254WI Amend 1"

I have often wondered if the G1000 could be removed and replaced with a different system since it was originally installed via STC. I would imagine the cost would be prohibitive.

Tim
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Tim H wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:24 pm Mine is a 2005 S/N 40.511 (non-WAAS G1000) and has a factory logbook entry that says:

"Garmin Integrated Avionics System installed per STC No. SA01254WI Amend 1"

I have often wondered if the G1000 could be removed and replaced with a different system since it was originally installed via STC. I would imagine the cost would be prohibitive.
My understanding is that since it was installed by STC, you can remove the factory G1000 and replace it with other avionics that satisfy the certification / Kinds of Equipment List.

With respect to the most cost efficient solution, I think we won't know until Diamond finishes their surveys and makes a formal announcement of both the process and cost for various panel upgrades. That should then be the benchmark with to which you compare other Garmin solutions, and solutions from other vendors.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Last Thursday, our DAN team had another video conference with Diamond. Here are the highlights:

Diamond asked for our help to let owners know that After Sales Support request emails should be sent to:

support-canada@diamondaircraft.com (for North America & Western Hemisphere)
support-austria@diamondaircraft.com (for Europe & Eastern Hemisphere)

These email addresses are connected to their new issue reporting system that will help them improve their tracking, follow-up, and analysis of owner and service center questions & reported problems.

Diamond is finalizing their Legacy G1000 WAAS upgrade (GIA63W based) and G1000 NXI Phase 1 to Phase 2 upgrade (GIA63Ws are returned to Diamond) programs and expect to have announcements within 2-3 weeks with improved pricing.

The upcoming announcement will include hardware costs (WW pricing), estimated hours-to-complete, and be available at nearly all Diamond Service Centers (i.e. not exclusively at the Diamond factory locations).

Plans for a Legacy G1000 WAAS GDU/system software update are still in discussion with Garmin. An updated NXI Phase 2 software update (which will incorporate bug fixes and closes the feature gap with other manufacturers’ NXI implementations) is planned for around year-end.
meowmeow
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sven
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N919ES
Airports: KBFI

Post by meowmeow »

Thank you for those updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

chili4way wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:36 pm Last Thursday, our DAN team had another video conference with Diamond. Here are the highlights:

Diamond asked for our help to let owners know that After Sales Support request emails should be sent to:

support-canada@diamondaircraft.com (for North America & Western Hemisphere)
support-austria@diamondaircraft.com (for Europe & Eastern Hemisphere)
I recently had an interaction with Diamond about a missing component in the flap system, which was resolved just fine. In the process, I received this list of emails to use:

North and South America, Australia or New Zealand

For Diamond Aircraft Technical Support Issues: support-canada@diamondaircraft.com
For Diamond Aircraft Spare Part Issues: parts-canada@diamondaircraft.com
For Claims and Warranty: claims-canada@diamondaircraft.com
For Sales Inquiries: sales-canada@diamondaircraft.com

For AOG Cases: aog@diamondaircraft.com

Europe, Middle East, Africa, Russia/CIS or Asia

For Diamond Aircraft Technical Support Issues: support-austria@diamondaircraft.com
For Diamond Aircraft Spare Part Issues: parts-austria@diamondaircraft.com
For Claims and Warranty: claims-austria@diamondaircraft.com

For AOG Cases: aog@diamondaircraft.com

I sent my inquiry off to the parts address. Diamond auto-responded with a case number (it was about 4:30 PM PDT) and I got the actual response two days later at about 7:00 AM PDT.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5