The G1000 project - "The next step"

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Re: The G1000 project - "The next step"

Post by TwinStarScott »

You guys are being played like a fiddle. I would normally say I’m shocked you haven’t figured it out yet, but, I’m not.
This comment is offensive because it is inaccurate.

If DAN members only knew the superb level of technical and business acumen the owner participants have brought to the table on behalf of DAN members, they could not help but be impressed - even in awe. As I am of each of them.

So, I would like to sincerely convey what a great privilege it has been to be associated with the terrific DAN members that have participated in these direct meetings with Diamond. As I have fortunately gotten to know them well, from all the time we have spent together during the numerous pre and post conference calls that took place surrounding the major, global meetings with Diamond. Plus, there has been, and continues to be, the near daily internal communications we have using a collaborative smart phone app.

And simply because there have not been any tangible results announced yet this is no indication whatsoever on just how fantastically well represented the owner’s group is and the shear dedication of this ad hoc team. Owners might even take some pride at what this team has worked so hard to accomplish in these first of its kind meetings. Therefore, speaking only for myself, I do not take kindly to this type of unfounded criticism.

Finally, this is probably as good a time as any to thank both Diamond and Garmin for their willingness to host these meetings over the course of the summer - in a spirit of cooperation and candor. No one is getting “played”, and certainly not this DAN group.
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Really? I get it. So results don’t matter. You really, really tried hard, put together a five star team of participants to present your concerns, requests to Diamond hierarchy and you have absolutely nothing to show for it other than platitudes. I understand, you have no concrete results of what you set out to accomplish other than a continuous round of back slapping and you’re offended? Sure, it all makes sense to me.
meowmeow
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sven
Aircraft Registration: N919ES
Airports: KBFI

Post by meowmeow »

Tommy wrote:Really? I get it. So results don’t matter. You really, really tried hard, put together a five star team of participants to present your concerns, requests to Diamond hierarchy and you have absolutely nothing to show for it other than platitudes. I understand, you have no concrete results of what you set out to accomplish other than a continuous round of back slapping and you’re offended? Sure, it all makes sense to me.
I know neither Scott nor you personally, but I think your discouraging tone is neither appropriate nor helpful. As I’m sure you know everything in the aviation world runs in super slow motion due to unique industry complications when it comes to collaboration of businesses like Diamond and Garmin, whose strategic plans and goals may not always be aligned while constantly being slowed down by tedious and costly certification processes neither company is responsible for.

I for one am glad that there is a dedicated group of DA aircraft owners that managed to get any traction at all in making sure our interests and suggestions are heard and we‘re getting systematically involved – undoubtedly the result of many efforts and required patience with slow processes that won‘t move any faster (or at all) just because we want to. We don’t own those processes – Diamond, Garmin and the FAA do.

Attacking those who step up doesn‘t help; getting involved does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Tommy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:11 am Really? I get it. So results don’t matter. You really, really tried hard, put together a five star team of participants to present your concerns, requests to Diamond hierarchy and you have absolutely nothing to show for it other than platitudes. I understand, you have no concrete results of what you set out to accomplish other than a continuous round of back slapping and you’re offended? Sure, it all makes sense to me.
I don’t think anybody is offended with statement above although it sounds a bit harsh. I see the first one a bit more on offensive side but it’s good to have reality check sometimes - performance without results doesn’t mean much.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

I'm still interested in knowing what upgrades Tommy is interested in for his plane.

In the end, it IS the results that matter. There are two: what upgrade options Diamond offers (primary) and the number of planes that get upgraded/updated (secondary). The progress to date is invisible to the larger DAN community. The time this is taking certainly is highly visible.
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Yep, results do matter. I am very grateful to the folks that are putting so much time and effort into this. I read each of your posts with enthusiasm and hope for progress. I am cheering you guys from the sidelines.

Since I am not in the group that has been interacting with Diamond, I have no facts to base my views on other than to say it has been over a year and seemingly no concrete achievements or even I would say milestones accomplished, other than some correspondence back and forth and a meeting or two?

Of course, aviation is highly regulated, like the business I am in, lifesciences. So I get it things take time, but it just seems to me Diamond are not prioritizing this to get some outcomes ticked off. Even a little "win" would give this forum great enthusiasm.

My perception, that may well be incorrect, is that Diamond is not even close to prioritizing getting resolution or again mapping out milestones towards resolution.
NickBudd
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N483TS
Airports: LFPN LFMD

Post by NickBudd »

Scott, any chance of sharing the draft submitted by DAI?
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

AndrewM wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:34 pm I have no facts to base my views on other than to say it has been over a year and seemingly no concrete achievements or even I would say milestones accomplished, other than some correspondence back and forth and a meeting or two?
Achievements: many
Deliverables: zero

We've seen three things in the last two years which are indicative of progress.

a) Diamond Canada's CEO is engaging with owners
b) Diamond is now using Salesforce to track support requests
c) Diamond is now aware that post sales support means more than shipping out parts

Legacy avionics upgrades have always been available from Diamond on an individual basis at the factory. More than one Diamond has received a major avionics upgrade at London, ON. That option is still available.

Scott's petition was intended to lead to a legacy avionics upgrade program rather than a one at a time at the factory. Scott's petition, with your signatures, led to a letter, a meeting and an initial legacy avionics upgrade program offering. I think it would be generous to say that offering was not well thought through or well received.

More discussion with Diamond led to scheduling a joint face to face with Garmin and Diamond in Kansas. It was scheduled, plane and hotel reservations booked and then cancelled at the last minute due to Covid-19. I personally forfeited some cash on that aborted trip and I suspect others did as well. No face to face led to two video conferences with Diamond and Garmin. That led to more meetings and discussions and brought Diamond Austria into the discussions. Eventually there was a second upgrade program draft. We felt there were too many unanswered questions, had another meeting with Diamond Canada/Austria and communicated our suggestions and concerns. That sent Diamond back for more internal meetings and meetings with Garmin.

If you've read any of CFIDave's posts on G1000 software versions you've seen the tip of the iceberg. Mix in hardware/software compatibility issues, an effort to address a range of starting and ending points on different airframe/engine combinations and compliance with certification requirements spanning Transport Canada, EASA and the FAA (none of whom are just rubber stamping since the 737Max) and you may begin to appreciate what is happening.

We have been told to expect the final version of the initial legacy upgrade program in the next few weeks. It will not make everyone happy, but it will be better than what was available two years ago.

In addition to legacy hardware upgrades we have discussed a range of other issues with Diamond from software updates to parts pricing/ availability. Time will tell if we see deliverables on those issues or not.

I am the first to say Diamond has moved too slowly and I'm not interested in being their apologist.

This is a forum for communication between Diamond owners and potential owners. Diamond does not read this forum. You are mistaken if you think Diamond will read your post, hear your voice and change their behavior. If you want Diamond to hear your voice, call or email the factory with your issues.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Tommy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:11 am Really? I get it. So results don’t matter. You really, really tried hard, put together a five star team of participants to present your concerns, requests to Diamond hierarchy and you have absolutely nothing to show for it other than platitudes. I understand, you have no concrete results of what you set out to accomplish other than a continuous round of back slapping and you’re offended? Sure, it all makes sense to me.
Tommy,

Considering how little response or thought Diamond (and to a lesser degree Garmin) from a public basis have previously displayed. With our rather litigious society, the regulatory environment, getting the companies to get to this point over just a couple years is absolutely amazing.

Tim
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Well Tim, that’s one of the reasons I have moved away from Diamond. I have only one life time and that’s short enough.