Just Discovered GTN 750

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Just Discovered GTN 750

Post by gordsh »

I just discovered the GTN 750....holy crow, what an amazing piece of Garmin hardware/software package. I always considered the G1000 package superior and never even gave other Garmin Nav/Com units a second glance, Seen them in many planes and thought my DA40 G1000 is the best. Little did I know.

Spent some time with a Malibu that had G500 TXI, GTN 750 and GMA 35 combo, lets just say my eyes and brain lit up like a Christmas Tree. The GTN is so much easier and intuitive than the G1000. Its almost like using Garmin Pilot in the Airplane. Did I say intuitive? I have had my DA40 for over 2 years and I am still confused with the turn vs click vs enter. Its almost like DOS vs Windows 10.

Hmmm and the Malibu, I love my DA40 and please don't shoot me in this forum but that Malibu with the Club Seating was very nice...and the big icing was that my wife and kids looooved it...

If I could only afford 2 airplanes :D ..
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: Just Discovered GTN 750

Post by Antoine »

"The big icing?" as in FIKI? Nobody will shoot you here for liking the Malibu! Great aircraft if you're not too tall.

After many hours flying G 1000 followed by 4 years with the avionics combo you describe plus Garmin Pilot, I think the same as you. So much so that I would even advocate taking out a non-WAAS, non GFC700, G1000 from a DA40.

The latest software release on the GTN 750 adds VFR reporting points so you can arrive VFR to any airport and confidently navigate their arrival routes. This was a game changer for me!

Also, I am a strong believer in shifting everything non-primary to a tablet. Much better UI (smoothness, pinch and zoom and... size) and cheaper subscription. (I pay 150€ a year for Nav Data, IFR charts, SafeTaxi and SynVis)
Panel mounted , suitably heat shielded and ventilated (passively) my iPad Pro never overheated and it almost never gave me nuisance alerts except those produced by... Garmin Pilot itself. Just keep it tidy and specialized.

Recently, this same iPad with 4G connectivity picked up enough signal to load weather data in cruise at 10000 ft.
And my plane is all carbon fiber... Go figure
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Post by BRS »

Just watched the youtube promo video on the 750. Looks great. My 40 goes in this week for the GTX345R install. I'm told it is compatible with many other boxes besides the G1K (ie GTN 750). One day......
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Post by midlifeflyer »

I've been flying with a 750 in some airplanes for a few years. It is an excellent nav box.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I've been flying co-pilot in a King Air that was recently upgraded from steam gauges to an all-new glass panel with 2 GTN 750s, so I now have some familiarity with 750s.

However I still prefer the G1000 NXi in my plane, primarily because I find operating touch screens in turbulence to be challenging even with the "finger rests" on the sides of the 750. Yesterday morning on a flight from Santa Fe to the Grand Canyon we experienced significant turbulence over the mountains and desert (in the DA62 at 12,000 feet), and I was noticing how much easier it was to operate the G1000 knobs and buttons compared to the touch screen on my 10.5" iPad Pro (running Foreflight) despite the iPad being firmly secured to a cockpit A-pillar via a RAM mount.

I do agree that the GTN 750 has an easier learning curve, and it does mimic the operation of Garmin Pilot on the iPad -- an advantage for pilots who use Garmin Pilot instead of Foreflight.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Somewhat off topic, but I had the same issue with touch screens when crossing oceans. Whether it's air turbulence or feisty seas, touch screens can make it difficult to hit the right button when things are jumping around. Great at the air show / boat show or on the ground / marina. Very different en route.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

What happened to voice control?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I, too, am not a fan of touch screens on the panel. It's almost never actually smooth flying around here, and finger-markmanship at the end of an extended hand would be a challenge. With FF/iPad it's not as bad because I have the unit mounted fairly close to me (arm not extended). That said, I recently switched to a large iPad (Pro 11) to get bigger buttons and hot-spots. And it's even closer than my previous mini's were mounted.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5