G1000NXi - The Missing Features

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: G1000NXi - The Missing Features

Post by CFIDave »

Russ:

Does your DA40NG now with NXi Phase II still reset its transponder code to VFR 1200 when the electric master power is recycled OFF and then ON?

This was a bug I discovered "the hard way" 3 years ago flying a customer's brand new G1000 NXi Phase I DA40NG that I had just delivered to KJYO: I got nailed by the FAA for accidentally squawking 1200 within the Washington, DC Special Flight Rules (SFRA) after recycling the power (the transponder was originally set properly to 1226 for the SFRA Leesburg Maneuvering Area). The FAA tried to charge me with a pilot deviation that would have suspended my license for 90 days, but I talked them out of it -- since no G1000s are supposed to do this. I filed a NASA report, reported the software bug to Diamond, and placarded the aircraft so other pilots wouldn't be surprised by the same behavior.

While not a "missing feature," I would suggest listing this as a bug that still requires a software update for DA40NG NXi Phase I (and maybe for Phase II if your 40NG also does this). None of the Legacy G1000s, and none of the NXi DA62s I've flown reset the transponder code after cycling the power. I've flown NXi DA42s under VFR that were properly set to 1200, so I didn't test if these DA42s also suffer from the DA40NG's NXi transponder reset bug -- maybe a DA42 NXi owner can comment on this.
Last edited by CFIDave on Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Hi Dave, my DA40NG with NXI Phase II resets to 1200 when the electric master power is cycled OFF and then ON as you describe.

I consider this a feature. At my home airport (KADS), we always land with an assigned squawk code when the tower is operational (VFR or IFR). The 1200 'automatic reset' keeps the old code from being persistent on the next flight, when departing may or may not require an assigned squawk code. In my flying, it would be very unusual for me to get to the point where I've entered a squawk and subsequently need to stop the engine and turn off the electric master.

It's definitely problematic that this behavior isn't spelled out in the Pilot's guide (at least not on pages 117-121). Making this user-selectable would be helpful and avoid ambiguities/inconsistencies.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Dave - Paul described the behavior I have with Phase II. I think this is one of those things that Garmin considers a feature so that when you power up you're not using an old code which would confuse ATC. In one case, the pilot always has to remember to set the code to 1200 when they startup, in the other case the pilot has to remember to set the code to the SFRA code. Since most don't live in the SFRA, they make 1200 the default rather than the last ATC assigned code.

However, the "VFR" code can definitely be set by an avionics tech and you could certainly set it to the SFRA code so it would automatically default to that on power cycle. That's not quite as convenient as a user config screen option which Paul is suggesting, but it works until you move!

In any case, the behavior doesn't contradict the manual and it's not a feature which is in any other implementation of NXi.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Boatguy wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:48 am...it's not a feature which is in any other implementation of NXi.
That's the problem. AFAIK, all G1000s for all aircraft (not just Diamonds) going back to 2004 when first introduced maintain their transponder code across power cycles. The ONLY exception to this seems to be the DA40NG with G1000 NXi (Phase I and Phase II). This inconsistency isn't listed in any of the manuals, and can cause problems when flying in airspace like the DC SFRA or crossing the US border -- where squawking 1200 is illegal.

But I also consider this a "safety of flight" issue -- I've been on IFR instructional flights where the red electric master was accidentally hit by a student, and thus the G1000 temporarily shut down. It's annoying that after restoring power you have to re-enter all your flight plan waypoints into the FMS, but fortunately after rebooting the G1000 normally comes back up with its original transponder code and radio frequencies -- thus minimizing the time that you're out of communications with ATC in potentially busy airspace. Can you always remember your transponder code assigned by ATC to re-enter it? You probably wrote it down for your initial clearance before takeoff, but not if you were asked to change it mid-flight (which happens routinely here when flying in the eastern US).

IMHO, Diamond/Garmin needs to fix this.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Is it the same behavior if you pullout transponder CB?
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

The original lists were to point out NXi capabilities that are implemented by other manufacturers but not by DAI, and unambiguous discrepancies between DAIs implementation and the documentation they supplied with the aircraft which by regulation is supposed to document the behavior of the aircraft and its systems.

I have added a third tab for features whose implementation we would like to see changed in some way and added the transponder behavior as the first item.

Dave: Can you suggest when you might be able to take all of these items to DAI and receive an official response? Particularly the safety of flight item raised by the GTX345R bug?

G1000 NXi Missing Features
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Boatguy wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:17 pmDave: Can you suggest when you might be able to take all of these items to DAI and receive an official response? Particularly the safety of flight item raised by the GTX345R bug?

G1000 NXi Missing Features
I think we as an owner group need to figure out the right strategy for this. I see 3 somewhat related categories of issues that need to be discussed between Diamond and DAN owners:

1. Legacy G1000 Upgrades
Scott McFadzean (Diamond Canada CEO) has delegated to Ed Hollestelle (Diamond Canada head of maintenance) to get back to us with answers and further clarification of our identified issues surrounding the list of upgrades that Diamond presented in their letter. Most of that effort is relevant to owners with Legacy G1000s (i.e., most of the owners here on DAN). We have another DAN thread that addresses this, and are currently awaiting Ed's response.

2. G1000 NXi Missing Features and Bug (including Documentation) Fixes
The list of items pulled together in this thread applies mostly to owners with 3 year old or newer Diamonds, i.e., owners with existing G1000 NXi installations in their aircraft. Will new software be available for NXi Phase I or will owners of those aircraft need to install NXi Phase II hardware for software updates? I'm not sure who at Diamond is working most closely with Garmin to coordinate which G1000 NXi features and functions get included vs. "left out" in new software releases, and is also familiar with near-term planned new releases (including certification and testing issues that may be delaying their release). We're not expecting Diamond to disclose future unannounced new features (e.g., auto-land), but to help us as owners understand how currently-missing features will be delivered.

3. Future Commitments
A strategic issue is whether or how Diamond plans to help owners keep their G1000 NXi (or Legacy G1000) avionics up-to-date to address changes to technology, regulations, standards, safety of flight, and fixes for future bugs. As Garmin continues to evolve the G1000 NXi flight deck, is it reasonable for new owners to expect software updates, and if so, for how long? Is there a viable business model that provides future software updates and upgrades with the cost of certification and software development borne by Diamond, Garmin, and owners? How does Diamond balance its desire to encourage customers to purchase new aircraft so they can obtain the latest avionics vs. helping existing owners keep their avionics up-to-date? (We're way past the days when steam gauges would last 50 years.) Answers to these types of questions will likely involve the highest levels of Diamond management.

We're already making some progress on #1; how should we approach Diamond for #2 and #3?
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Dave, FWIW, I propose we use the term 'update' to refer to things that are implemented in new G1000 or G1000 NXI software releases, and "upgrades" to things which involve new (or substitute) hardware and associated software.

Enabling 3D audio or enabling the full set of FIS-B weather products would be examples of updates (assuming Phase II hardware). Enabling FS510 capability on Phase I NXI hardware is probably an update since the GDUs don't need to change (although there could be hardware dependency on an ADS-B in/out transponder). Swapping GIA63Ws for GIA64, swapping GMA1347s for GMA 1360s, and swapping GTX 335R for GTX 345R would be examples of upgrades. This may affect what certification hoops are required as hardware changes (i.e. upgrades) typically require some kind of STC or proven equivalence to a TSO. I'm hopeful that certain categories of software updates have fewer and easier hoops.

Since the Garmin notice about the GTX 345R issue apparently creates a need to release a new G1000 NXI release, I'll propose we focus on asking Diamond to consider a software update that has the scope of a) GTX 345R fix, b) FIS-B weather update, c) fixing the altitude alerts to match the Garmin Pilot Guide (i.e. 200' instead of 1000'), support for Visual Approaches, and enabling 3D audio for Phase II HW and FS510 support for Phase I hardware. With some feedback from Diamond about which of these have substantial Garmin (implementation), Diamond (configuration choices), or Transport Canada (certification) issues, we could adjust the proposed scope. Collaboration on this (i.e. #2 of your list) with Diamond can help us understand the constraints they face on our list of missing features, and both #1 (legacy upgrades, which you point out has a life of its own) and #3 (the future).

Let's focus on the scope (and then schedule, etc.) of the software update that will address the Garmin GTX 345R issue.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

I think we as an owner group need to figure out the right strategy for this. I see 3 somewhat related categories of issues that need to be discussed between Diamond and DAN owners:

1. Legacy G1000 Upgrades
Scott McFadzean (Diamond Canada CEO) has delegated to Ed Hollestelle (Diamond Canada head of maintenance) to get back to us with answers and further clarification of our identified issues surrounding the list of upgrades that Diamond presented in their letter. Most of that effort is relevant to owners with Legacy G1000s (i.e., most of the owners here on DAN). We have another DAN thread that addresses this, and are currently awaiting Ed's response.
As the CEO appears to be focused largely elsewhere and has delegated this large project to the Director of Maintenance, this possibly indicates DAI has insufficient staff to effectively and efficiently* handle these ongoing technical stumbling blocks. And doesn’t the Director of Maintenance have a full plate performing solely this important function?

All of this leads to some long-term suggestions.

They are:

• Create a Director of Avionics position, who would take sole responsibility for addressing all of the current technical issues and then later help to ward off future problems (such as Phase III?). This doesn’t necessarily have to be a full-time position long term, once all the Legacy / NXi / 345R concerns are substantially resolved. It could even be an outside consultant. For instance, someone like a CFIDave, to name just one DAN member. Or Ed Hollestelle could be re-assigned to this brand-new position and another staff member in the maintenance department could be promoted.

• Create a DAN sourced Avionics Advisory Board, who would then work closely with the Director of Avionics, and perhaps others at DAI. This board could also be included in the semi-annual meetings with Diamond and Garmin. These ideally would be paid positions, but at a minimum their travel expenses should be covered. Active GA airline pilots, nearing or in retirement, would be ideal for this type of role. Or owners like Boatguy, with his years of experience in Silicon Valley. The broader point is there is so much DAN members can contribute to improving Diamond, given the chance with an open mind and proper recognition from them.

Whether you like this suggestion about an advisory board or not, so many threads on DAN indicate, at a minimum, the need for Diamond to establish a formal communications channel by appointing a few DAN members of their choosing. And for Diamond to allocate more human resources to the entire subject of Avionics, either internally or by hiring an outside consultant. Perhaps even both.

Because as we all know, the G1000 is no longer the big selling feature that it once was. In fact, this avionics suite could just as easily be viewed as a liability, badly in need of regulatory relief.

Yet if Diamond can point out how they’ve made significant structural changes to address the concerns of owners, it should count for a lot when questions invariably get raised by prospective buyers regarding ongoing avionics support. As these proposed structural changes could lessen, or even completely alleviate, these concerns.

*four data points are:
1) the G1000 petition was started on November 1, 2018
2) group letter from DAN members was mailed on July 15, 2019
3) DAN members received CEO Scott McFadzean’s letter on September 20, 2019 or thereabouts
4) CFIDave proposed 12 questions to DAI on October 8, 2019
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

If you follow DAI press releases, you can notice that majority is related to sales, mainly to sales of new aircrafts, and specifically to flight academies. From that you can easily read where the focus is: make & sell. And that’s fully legitimate and it can work if it’s followed by post-sales process which fulfills given promises and customers’ expectations. However, looking at responses of owners of practically new aircrafts, I see that they have more reasons to be unhappy than us legacy G1000 owners. The policy of “frozen” avionics in something that is supposed to be highly modular and upgradable, is simply unacceptable. TBH I expect DAI to put their focus there first rather than on legacy G1000 and KAP140 if they ever decide do solve this issue.

Two more things to add to your list of events:
1. Promised (and not held) meetings with owners. I got promise I would meet DAI management in Austria beginning of 2019, representing several owners, to discuss issue of legacy G1000. The meeting was not held under excuse that everything was addressed and would be publicly announced at Aero 2019 fair in April in Friedrichshafen.
2. Promised (and not held) public announcement of strategy for legacy avionics. Both big shows (Aero and Oshkosh) were supposed to be places where the strategy for upgrading legacy avionics would be announced. As you know, nothing happened.

Looking above, I don’t see we’re progressing much. As usually when I don’t have positive thoughts, I hope I’m wrong :)