EFB bashing whiners

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

EFB bashing whiners

Post by Rich »

First of all, my perspective is an elderly (73) Baby Boomer who has spent many hours with the various available infrastructure and its limitations from 1970 onward. (Instrument Rating in 1974). I never use paper charts any more in any form whatsoever.

I see the following stuff all the time, stating that paper charts are superior to EFBs and that EFBs are not a replacement for paper charts. What a crock. (I'm limiting this specifically to EFBs, not integrated flight decks like G1000.) You know the list:

1. Batteries die. Systems lock up.
2. Distraction of the EFB.
3. Loss of signal.
4. Pilots can't actually fly anymore.
5. Pen and paper are more reliable.

My responses:
1. Manage battery life like fuel. Know the capacity. If it's less than your flying day, either run on ship's power or an auxiliary external battery (they cost like $20.00). The same goes for related gizmos like Stratus, Sentry, etc. as required. (Related: Do you still fly IFR with a vacuum system notorious for failing with no warning whatsoever?) I've never had an iPad lock up or fail, but always fly with at least 1 backup anyway. (As a casual side effect - my iPhone - and also usually my wife's iPad.)
2. Fumbling/folding multiple charts isn't a distraction? Especially digging out the right approach plate, and STAR. Finding places to stow for retrieval as required and when no longer so. How about managing charts that expire during a trip? Can you update your required paper charts while on an extended trip?
3. I assume this means loss of GPS position, which paper charts live with 100% of the time. Loss of signal affects the ability of EFBs to render charts not at all. This is also something that's never happened to me in like, 7 years of use.
4. EFBs do not control the airplane. They simply provide information to the pilot. How does this compromise piloting skills?
5. Ever had a pen run dry or pencil tip snap off? Or drop the damn thing, never to be seen again until annual? Do you mark up your sectional consistent with the intervening Chart Supplements (plural intended, both spatially and temporally) as applicable? You do know these charts have obsolete data as soon as 28 days after publication, right? (I'm not sure about other EFBs but FF incorporates this into its aero-nav data as it becomes applicable.)

A partial list of stuff paper charts can not provide:
1. Add and update graphical TFRs in real time during flight. Yes, this is an ADS-B In thing but does NOT require ADS-B out - total freebee. 100% of paper charts can not do this - ever.
2. Seamlessly transition across multiple charts as your flight progresses. Have you never flown a course straddling the edges of multiple paper charts?
3. Function at night without that feeble map light or some other external source. Have you noticed that the magenta markings on sectionals become invisible under that red light from your flashlight?
4. Provide distance/bearing between two arbitrary points even on different charts with a simple two-finger selection, regardless of base scale of the charts (which could differ - IFR enroute charts vary in scale, if you didn't know) or zoom level. Paper charts require digging out that multi-scale/protractor thing and selecting the proper scale(s) and performing all sorts of distracting (there's that word again) operations to figure it out.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Re: EFB bashing whiners

Post by TimS »

Nice
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Rich, amen amen! There is no logic or reason for bashing EFBs, other than stick-in-the-mud-syndrome.
Wayne
(a 72-year-old GeezerGeek Pilot)
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

I fly KDTW to RJGG (Nagoya Japan) a few times a month with 4 pilots on the flight - - - -

to all those "EFB bashers" out there, NOT ONE OF US carrys PAPER anymore - everything is on the EFB! Certainly much better (and easier on the arms) than the "old days" of carrying a 30+ pound flight kit full of Jeppesen plates and charts!!!

My favorite part of the EFB charts is the "moving map" taxi diagram, when my iPad is connected to a good GPS source. Its great to know exactly where you are at some of the very busy airports in the world !!!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by jb642DA »

I forgot to mention - re Rich and "updating paper charts" -

I'm glad I no longer have to waste all the time required to do that anymore!! That alone is reason enough to go to an EFB!! (and I never "mis-file" the right chart under the wrong airport anymore either!!)
Looking!
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Post by midlifeflyer »

This Boomer - though not as old as you - agrees about 95% with you. January will be 9 years that I have used an EFB. When the paper charts I had at that point expired, that was the end of them.

And, yes, I have had my iPad GPS go TU. Complete non-event.

The 5%? I went back to pen/pencil and paper for writing IFR clearances and taking in-flight notes about 3 years ago. II'm more interested in what gets the job done for me than being a purist about any medium and I found it worked better for me.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

midlifeflyer wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:34 pm The 5%? I went back to pen/pencil and paper for writing IFR clearances and taking in-flight notes about 3 years ago.
Actually, I do the same. Mostly it's an ergonomic thing, as I find the electronic notepad approach more clumsy than it's worth. And when the notepad is displayed other stuff is not. It's a small chore, anyway - more like 2%.

One current inconvenience that will be simplified in about a month is for initial flight plan loading and in-flight reroutes. This requires entering things both in FF (easy) and the GNS530W. With the pending installation of the Flighstream that will be somewhat simplified. This task, like everything else, is a specific skill that needs to be learned so it becomes second nature. I have found that certain inflight changes are easier to make in FF and some easier in the GNS. Fortunately, the integration can be driven in either direction.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

jb642DA wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:47 pm I forgot to mention - re Rich and "updating paper charts" -
I'm glad I no longer have to waste all the time required to do that anymore!!
I'm actually quite sad to see the ritual of updating paper charts go the path of dinosaurs. As one of the finest pilots I've ever known was asked the question "What are you going to do with all of your time now that you have retired?", he answered "Not a problem - I've got 20 years of Jepps to update..."
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by jb642DA »

Good one Ultra!! We prpbably knew the same "guy" !!
How's the new "ride" treating you?
Looking!
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member