Squawk Change

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Squawk Change

Post by Colin »

As of January 1st, 2020, you may NOT use the Angel Flight call sign, either in filing a flight plan or communicating with ATC, UNLESS, your ADS-B equipped transponder has been reprogrammed to transmit your NGF flight number for that mission! In most cases, this involves resetting the transmitted call sign from the transponder control head. Failure to do so means the controller will see a different aircraft ID on his scope from what he hears or sees on the flight plan strip.

A mismatch of call signs is a violation of the Federal Aviation Regulations and can result in a violation notice to the pilot and possibly the revocation of the privilege to use it by Angel Flight should it become a recurring issue. If the transponder cannot be adjusted, such as in a rental aircraft where that ability is locked, the pilot MUST use the aircraft registration instead of “Angel Flight” in all communications with ATC.

In most cases, an avionics tech can unlock that capability by entering the configuration menu of the unit, and requires very little time and instruction as to how the pilot can change the transmitted ID.
Does someone have the G1000 steps for doing this? And how much of pain in the ass is it?

I have a feeling I'll just put it in the remarks for my flight plan and mention it when I call each new controller.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Re: Squawk Change

Post by waynemcc999 »

Colin, even before the ADS-B thing, I never liked using the AFW call sign on my flights... I was always paranoid that I'd miss ATC calling me on an unfamiliar call sign (that wasn't the tailnumber my ears are accustomed to listening for). Now... there's no way I'm going to bother to switching my ADS-B configuration.
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Completely agree with Wayne.
I'll just put it in the remarks for my flight plan and mention it when I call each new controller.
In my experience of having flown a lot of blood runs into busy BFI, simply putting "AFW mission" in the remarks section results in what I perceive to be exceptional treatment by ATC. Yet when flying passengers, these flights usually aren't quite as time critical and they love every minute of being airborne – even if it involves numerous vectors.

Certainly, it's a great cause:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10155239406167187
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I think there is a setting in maintenance mode to allow the pilot to change the Flight ID. I've never changed it but presumably if allowed then it's more or less like changing the squawk code.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Yes, but if a mistake is made*, technically the pilot has violated an FAR. Not worth the risk to me anyway and something I just don't want to be distracted by and during a time when you've already got a lot on your mind.

*which would include forgetting to reset the discreet code in a timely manner. Such as, by failing to do so in the field:
say you've just dropped off your passenger(s) at a satellite airport in Class B airspace and you're now hustling to return to your home base because some Wx is moving in. While it's unlikely the FAA would seek enforcement action over such an item, it could come down to just how busy or slow a FSDO might be on any given day or week.
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

It’s actually quite easy to do. On your PFD press TMR/REF. That will open the Timer/Reference window. Turn the outer FMS knob to highlight your Flight ID, then use the inner and outer FMS knobs to change your call sign, making sure that you use your individuality assigned Compassion number. When done, press the inner FMS knob followed by the TMR/REF button. I tried posting a video on Facebook.

DO NOT forget to change it back following your Compassion flight.

Sandy
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Apparently, iOS 13 on the iPhone does not allow uploads to YouTube, so I had to email the video to myself and use my iPad to upload it. You can see the video at https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uO6ODZfomf8

rdrobson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N84LT
Airports: KFAR

Post by rdrobson »

Sandy wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:28 pm It’s actually quite easy to do. On your PFD press TMR/REF. That will open the Timer/Reference window. Turn the outer FMS knob to highlight your Flight ID, then use the inner and outer FMS knobs to change your call sign, making sure that you use your individuality assigned Compassion number. When done, press the inner FMS knob followed by the TMR/REF button. I tried posting a video on Facebook.

DO NOT forget to change it back following your Compassion flight.

Sandy
I fly several Angel flights and it is very easy to reset the flight ID as described above. However, my G1000 did not allow me to do this at first and my avionics tech had to unlock the capability. It was pretty quick work them though. When my tech did the work, he said he set it to reset to my registration number with each power cycle but it doesn't do that and I have to reset it myself. Something to ask for though if you have the work done.

--Ron