Purchasing Jepp NavData for non-WAAS 430 -- Help

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

DaveS1900
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N521DD
Airports: I74 Urbana Ohio

Purchasing Jepp NavData for non-WAAS 430 -- Help

Post by DaveS1900 »

I have a non-WAAS 430 which I don't use for IFR but like to keep updated every few years. In the past I have purchased through JeppDirect but that now sends me over to a Boeing website. I can't find the NavData purchase page for a non-WAAS 430. All I can find is JeppCharts stuff. Garmin only sells the 430W data so my only choice is Jeppesen. I found subscriptions available at www.mypilotstore but no single purchase listed.

Any direction would be helpful.

Thanks
Dave S.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Purchasing Jepp NavData for non-WAAS 430 -- Help

Post by Rich »

Boeing acquired Jeppesen, you're probably at the right site. I don't know about support for non-WAAS or non-subscription. You may have to call them.

Preaching warning: A consequence of flying with obsolete data, this has nothing to do with IFR:

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Repor ... L&IType=FA

Near and dear to my heart since our CTAF is going to change next month.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
DaveS1900
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N521DD
Airports: I74 Urbana Ohio

Post by DaveS1900 »

The primary unit is a GTN 750 which is kept up to date with a subscription. Plus I have Garmin GoPilot on my Ipad with a current subscription. In addition I keep back up paper charts for my region within easy reach.

Thanks Rich for your concern.

Dave S.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

As long as you view the nav data in the 430 as reliable as a used-car salesman, fine. Still functional as a manually controlled nav/comm with some additional goodies, I suppose.

As for me I use my 530W and 430W both in IFR all the time and keep the databases current. Using crossfill, I use them as extensions of each other. They both "know" the flight segment I'm on and I can display different data fields and screens on both relevant to what I'm doing. For example, I'll often have the flight plan screen up on the 430W, which gives a running display of course, ETE, distance, etc. to all the waypoints ahead, while managing the current leg on the 530W. It's also not unusual to have 6-8 nav/comm frequencies queued up, simplified by easily being able to pick the airport/navaid and select the frequencies I want.

The 430W and its CDI is also a true backup to the 530W/HSI. Is this theoretical? No. Some past examples:

1. Some years back the 530W quit driving the GS needle on the HSI. This was for both ILS and LPV. But I could still fly either with the 430W and its CDI. The 530W was subsequently repaired by Garmin. They turn these around quickly, but still I was without it at all for about 9 days in addition the the week or so during which I tried to decide whether the problem was in the KI525 or the 530W. I made a lucky guess.

2. Also some years back, the connector in the back of the HSI that provides input from the 530W came loose in flight. This was on a trip from Paine Field (KPAE) to Boundary Bay, BC. and the return a couple of days later. The problem popped up during the initial flight. Both flights were in IMC and the return involved an additional stop at Bellingham for customs. I could still fully function in the IFR system using the 430W and was legitimately /G. I didn't figure out the problem until I got back to KPAE. An easy fix, but not in flight unless you've got superpowers.

3. Last summer I sent the 530W off to Garmin to deal with the anti-reflective coating on the screen, which somewhere along the line got all mucked up. During that time I remained fully IFR capable, though I lost ADS-B out. (At that time, of course, ADS-B out didn't matter. Today it's a somewhat different story.)
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5