Kick the Kneeboard - Something Missing?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Kick the Kneeboard - Something Missing?

Post by waynemcc999 »

We’ve already shed reams and reams of paper from the cockpit… Why not complete the transition? I understand that getting rid of a paper notepad and a kneeboard is not for everyone… but for me, with a little perseverance, this transition has improved the accuracy of my ATC communications and, I believe, also improved overall safety. What do you see as pros/cons of a cockpit devoid of paper?

Thoughts, questions, and suggestions? I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks for your insight and enjoy the video!
Wayne, the GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Re: Kick the Kneeboard - Something Missing?

Post by blsewardjr »

Wayne- Nice video and interesting ideas. In my steam-gauge DA40 I have my Ipad Air 3rd gen on my right leg with clips. Tried Mini, just too small, especially for looking at Nexrad Radar, plus anywhere I put it with suction cups it seemed either in the way and/or vibrated too much. When I put it where you have it I had it plugged into ship's power and was forever yanking the power cord at the end of the flight when I forgot to disconnect before I lifted the canopy. Finally, I found it hard to write on it with my right hand when mounted on the left side.

I tried going paperless on my Ipad Air, including checklists, but found switching back and forth within FF to be clumsy . So now, like you, I enter ATC headings, altitudes and frequencies into the avionics, but I still copy clearances on a small notebook and use a custom one page (front and back) checklist (easier for it to become a "check" list instead of a "to do" list). I may give the clearances another try, though, especially if I have an Apple pencil. Bernie
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Bernie, from what I hear/read, the Apple pencil may be a big help for Clearances (I just "get by" with the stylus on clearances). But the Gen2 pencil isn't available for the iPad Mini. If you try the pencil, pls post a PIREP.
Oh, with the 6-pack DA40 I'd also want the bigger iPad.
Thanks for the solid feedback.
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I've used an iPad Mini and Apple Pencil gen 1 on a kneeboard for almost a year. I use the MyClip kneeboard because it allows the pad to cool more effectively. In normal use the battery is good for about 6hrs of flying, but I also have USB outlets if needed. The pencil goes the distance with no problem. The pencil is attached to the MyClip with velcro.

I use three apps:

- Foreflight: Primarily for approach plates, but at times for all the other goodies in FF. I don't normally use the moving map since I have the MFD and an inset/CDI map on the PFD.

- Good Notes: I have DEP/Enroute/ARR templates (multiple page document) where I write static data for reference, clearances, freqs, record hours, record ATC instructions as necessary, etc. I also have a few static reference documents such as gaits, PIREP form, etc.

- MiraCheck (without the voice): All of my checklists. MiraCheck makes it easy to modify and change my checklists as well as configure the checklists for different situations (e.g., departing a tie down versus departing my hangar for an overnight trip).

A swipe of three fingers moves me from one app to the next.

The only paper in my cockpit is the G1000 cockpit guide (it's got a great TOC), and a hardcopy of the emergency procedures checklist.
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Russ, as seems to often be the case... we're pretty much in sync! I'm going to give the Gen1 Apple Pencil a try.
Thanks!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Wayne:
I only use a clipboard with pen and paper for clearances. When flying in the US northeast corridor it's not unusual to get IFR routes with 8-10 or more waypoints and airways. It's challenging to write everything down with shorthand on paper as quickly as the controller reads the clearance. And it's not just something you do before takeoff: We routinely get "New clearance, ready to copy?" from ATC while flying.

You also need a clipboard for those -- hopefully seldom -- occasions when ATC gives you a phone number to call when you're back on the ground! ;)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Dave, points well taken. Thx. For me, clearances (initial and major updates) are still a work-in-process with my e-scribbling (w stylus)... but it's getting better, and has worked well enough for the last two years. I'm hoping the Apple Pencil will make it close to as easy as a paper notepad... even for that phone number :-).
Cheers,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I had a thought I'll be trying out. Because it's somewhat inconvenient to jump to the scratchpad screen while enroute, just try writing the change right on the chart. For example, near CLARA, I got a clearance Direct JJETT. Just write "D" and an arrow to JJETT. After (or later in) the flight, I can just clear all annotations.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Rich wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:36 pm I had a thought I'll be trying out. Because it's somewhat inconvenient to jump to the scratchpad screen while enroute, just try writing the change right on the chart. For example, near CLARA, I got a clearance Direct JJETT. Just write "D" and an arrow to JJETT. After (or later in) the flight, I can just clear all annotations.
With this in mind, I just "adjusted" my EZ-roller iPad cradle to be Apple Pencil friendly. Love Dremel :thumbsup:
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

I've done some experimenting with using the keyboard in the scratchpad. Given I use an 11" iPad in landscape and my questionable penmanship, this really looks promising for certain stuff, like frequency, altitude, and heading changes.