Aspen IMC 2-LOC & Missed -- in the Simulator

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Aspen IMC 2-LOC & Missed -- in the Simulator

Post by waynemcc999 »

Ground contact, check… but can you see the runway environment? In part 2 of this short series we e-fly a Localizer approach into Aspen, with weather 3500’ overcast, visibility 2 miles reported. What are your experiences and opinions on shooting approaches in a home simulator? Is the geography and topography realistic enough? Are the avionics pretty functional compared to the real world?

Thanks for your insight and enjoy the video!
Wayne, the GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Aspen IMC 2-LOC & Missed -- in the Simulator

Post by CFIDave »

Again, nice video. My only comment is about your airspeed reduction before beginning the descent and going missed: you slowed to 80 knots. On a G1000 NXi-equipped DA62 with ESP (Electronic Stability and Protection) like mine, you'd get a bright yellow AIRSPEED warning annunciation in the PFD at that speed, and maybe even initiate the stall warning horn. No need to slow down that much. :)

With the gear down acting as speed brakes, you could have easily descended at a steep 6.59 degree slope without picking up too much airspeed on the final approach. I like to demonstrate high speed 3500+ fpm descents at 30-45 degrees pitch down. With the gear extended and props windmilling at idle, a diving DA62 will stay comfortably in the green airspeed range. For fun, you might try that on the sim to see how it responds.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Re: Aspen IMC 2-LOC & Missed -- in the Simulator

Post by waynemcc999 »

Dave... you are of course 100%+ correct (wish I had some real world time in your awesome bird). To be honest, I also slowed way down (albeit too slow) to give my mind time to manage the dive-and-drive stepdowns, as the GFC700 in the sim aircraft wasn't doing its great drive-and-dive for me. I will re-fly this approach with your speed management suggestions.
Thanks for watching... that's awesome!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot