Quick Tip: Aeronautical Map with AutoHighlight in ForeFlight

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Quick Tip: Aeronautical Map with AutoHighlight in ForeFlight

Post by Colin »

I am the reverse of Paul. The iPad remains north up, the G1000 maps are all track up.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Post by yl472401 »

Colin wrote:I am the reverse of Paul. The iPad remains north up, the G1000 maps are all track up.
I haven’t got chance to put up my iPad Pro since I came back from the x-country flight. Will try both and see. I think the major reason I’d line to use the north up is that my CFI used track up on the MFD, which through me off most of the time. It’s probably a good idea to keep one for each for quick reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Colin wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:21 am I am the reverse of Paul. The iPad remains north up, the G1000 maps are all track up.
Same here - G1000 track up, iPad north up.
CBeak
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Registration: N614DS
Airports: KSGU

Post by CBeak »

So today I finally took N614DS somewhere, as my wife and I flew a rescue dog from St George to Salt Lake City. First real cross country for us with ADSB in...which is on ForeFlight. Realized in flight that while I prefer North up on the G1000, I prefer Track up on ForeFlight. That way, I see the other traffic where it is in relation to my heading. Much easier.
Odd note about today’s flight. It was out first real cross country in N614DS. When we landed in Salt Lake City and taxi’d up to the ramp.....our old C172 was sitting there. Met the couple flying it, and it’s now getting a lot of work again as a trainer/rental.
CBeak
N614DS 05 DA40
Legacy G1000 ; KAP 140; GTX 345R
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Post by yl472401 »

Colin wrote:I am the reverse of Paul. The iPad remains north up, the G1000 maps are all track up.
Here it is. This is the current version of my third panel setup. After attempted the medial seat securing bolt attachment scheme, I found this to be more practical and fit my eye sight setup Image
I bought the RAM easy rolling racket for the iPad and dual suction cup base and put it on the storm vent.

OkImage

Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

yl472401 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:11 pm
Here it is. This is the current version of my third panel setup. After attempted the medial seat securing bolt attachment scheme, I found this to be more practical and fit my eye sight setup Image
I bought the RAM easy rolling racket for the iPad and dual suction cup base and put it on the storm vent.
Do you worry about the weight on the window? Many posts about the latch being fragile. I would be very hesitant to add that weight, especially on a lever like the RAM mount.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

dmloftus wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:05 pm
yl472401 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:11 pm
Do you worry about the weight on the window? Many posts about the latch being fragile. I would be very hesitant to add that weight, especially on a lever like the RAM mount.
There is one thing. In flight the window is sucked hard against the canopy and there is no force against the latch. Placing the iPad there might change the balance, though. I would suggest getting the alternative metal latches some of us have acquired.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

dmloftus wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:05 pm Do you worry about the weight on the window? Many posts about the latch being fragile. I would be very hesitant to add that weight, especially on a lever like the RAM mount.
David, I've also read here about the fragile latch on the window... but I've flown my 2008 XLS with my iPad Mini on a RAM mount (with the light X-Grip holder) off the window for ~1,800 hours over 5 years without issue. I'm a big fan of the "heads-up" which that mounting scheme provides (versus in the lap or a kneeboard). Of course, YMMV 8) .
Best regards,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

How fragile the latch is depends in part on how much is engaged in that block bonded to the canopy. I broke 2 of those without ever having anything attached. It had the merest amount of engagement (maybe 1 mm). The first one snapped the first time I went to close it after replacing the window seal strip. The replacement did the same thing, as the flange needed to be dressed down. The third one was OK for years because I sanded down to where it barely touched the inside of that block.

BTW, I tried this with my iPad Pro 11. The problem was that the weight of the iPad plus the cradle (right at 2 lbs. combined) and the fact I couldn't use a short arm meant it would sag against the ball and simply not stay in place. A mini might not have this problem.
Last edited by Rich on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

waynemcc999 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:31 pm
dmloftus wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:05 pm Do you worry about the weight on the window? Many posts about the latch being fragile. I would be very hesitant to add that weight, especially on a lever like the RAM mount.
David, I've also read here about the fragile latch on the window... but I've flown my 2008 XLS with my iPad Mini on a RAM mount (with the light X-Grip holder) off the window for ~1,800 hours over 5 years without issue. I'm a big fan of the "heads-up" which that mounting scheme provides (versus in the lap or a kneeboard). Of course, YMMV 8) .
Best regards,
Wayne
I have the same setup, Mini on a Ram X Mount, that I used to use in 172’s. More recently I fly with an iPad Air loose on my left leg so I can push to left wall when not needed. Nice benefit of unmovable seats, can’t fall to the floor like a Cessna. In addition, I find my 2nd generation Mini overheats much more frequently than my 5th generation iPad Air. You may be giving me a good excuse to buy latest Mini ;-)