PIREP: Garmin G1000 NXI PC Trainer v20.81

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

PIREP: Garmin G1000 NXI PC Trainer v20.81

Post by chili4way »

Price: $49.95
Link: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/70232 ... 0-12675-14

Summary: Updated solution useful for learning G1000 NXI knobs and buttons for many flight scenarios. Also helpful for trying out different PFD & MFD display options. Helpful to pre-fly SIDs, STARs, and approaches using the GFC700 autopilot.

I bought the Piper Archer version because the GDU version 20.81 is closest to what’s installed in my DA40NG with Phase II, GDU 20.80. Windows only; I have to run it under Parallels on my Mac

• Near-exact match of the G1000 NXI functionality in the airplane. So much better than the Legacy G1000 versions that seemed to be the only ones available.
  • Great for trying out all those different PFD & MFD display options to see what you like and when you might choose to fly with different options/pilot profiles. (Note: profiles do NOT transfer between PC trainer and your plane)
  • Can be updated to current databases if you have a subscription for your plane and are willing to work at it, despite the official Garmin stance on this. It comes with 2018 databases.
Advisories:
  • The mouse-clicks for knob turning takes some getting used to, but once you have it, it’s OK. This version does not have the ‘white boxes’ prior versions had to help you find the right “click locations”. There are also helpful keyboard shortcuts; see post below.
  • The MENU-MENU (double press) brings up what you need to position the plane (location, altitude) and set the airspeed, etc. It’s available on either the PFD or MFD, but the MFD one displays the entire list all at once and is easier to use. Unfortunately, you have to use the Garmin knob-twist input methodology to enter the information.
  • You’ll be happier “flying” using the GFC700 than using the keyboard or optional physical controls. Think of it as a procedure trainer. If you set 100 KIAS, you’ll get 100 KIAS no matter what pitch the airplane is in. This makes FLC a bit wonky; I just use VS mode.
  • No TOGA functionality for missed approaches.
  • No audio panel (no different than the earlier versions).
  • The engine page and gauges are for the Archer and can be easily ignored. Set the fuel level to avoid seeing low fuel range warnings on the MFD moving map.
  • The system has a group of airplanes that circle your position at different ranges & altitudes to demonstrate the traffic display capability.
  • No FIS-B weather emulation capability – although I haven’t really explored what's might be possible.
  • No checklist.
Dislikes:
  • Released version (Archer 20.81) has a bug that can be easily fixed after installation; the PFD and MFD bezel types are reversed. Editing the two .XML files located in the installation directory to swap the GDU types fixes this.
  • ]Supposedly comes with Flite Charts but these were not operational; the VFR and IFR charts are installed and do work.
  • No ability to shortcut data entry with the PC keyboard; it's all done using the Garmin knob-twist methodology. (This is one place I wish the implementation was not quite so accurate.)
Bottom line: Worth it to me to have something I can easily use at home to better understand the key features of the G1000 NXI and the GFC700. YMMV.
Attachments
NXI PC Trainer KTKI.png
Last edited by chili4way on Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: PIREP: Garmin G1000 NXI PC Trainer v20.81

Post by Rick »

Good to know there's something out there for NXi - thanks for the good PIREP! That is disappointing if the keyboard doesn't work, though - it did in the old 12.00 version. I guess that would also mean you can't invoke the Configuration Mode on the NXi trainer - on the old version, you held the Enter key (on the keyboard) while turning on the power to the screen. If the keyboard doesn't work, how would you do that?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by chili4way »

Rick, thanks for the note. Yes, the keyboard does work as it has in the prior versions, with a set of keyboard shortcuts. Unfortunately these do not include the ability to type in waypoint names into the panel. That still needs to be done with the FMS knob (although there are KB shortcuts that make it easier than using the mouse to twist the FMS knobs.)

‘W’ activates the power button.
‘F1’ to ’F12’ respectively activate softkeys 1-12, numbered left to right on the display.
‘D’ activates the Direct-to key.
‘M’ activates the MENU key.
‘F’ activates the FPL key.
'P’ activates the PROC key.
‘ESC’ activates the CLR key.
‘Enter’ (carriage return) activates the ENT key.
The space bar presses the FMS knob.
The arrow keys rotate the FMS knob as follows:
- Down arrow turns the large FMS knob clockwise (upper right arrow on the display).
- Up arrow turns the large FMS knob counterclockwise (upper left arrow on the display).
- Right arrow turns the small FMS knob clockwise (lower right arrow on the display).
- Left arrow turns the small FMS knob counterclockwise (lower left arrow on the display).
The number keys on the number keypad (when available) activate the bezel joystick used to pan the map.
‘Alt’ + ‘F’ pulls down the ‘File’ menu
‘Alt’ + ‘O’ pulls down the ‘Options’ menu
‘Alt’ + ‘A’ pulls down the ‘Airframe’ menu
‘Alt’ + ‘H’ pulls down the ‘Help’ menu
‘N’ = ‘F11’ displays and hides the NRST window PFD only
‘Y’ = ‘F12’ displays and hides the ALERTS window PFD only

I'll have to give these a try!
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Ok, that's consistent with the previous version. You were never able to enter waypoint names, etc. using the alphanumeric keys before, either. I'm glad they kept the same keyboard shortcuts going forward.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by chili4way »

Another feature of the PC trainer is that it records flight data, just like the real panel does in the top MFD slot. It's recorded in a file called "datacard1.img" located in the PC trainer installation directory. If you mount the image as a drive you can find the .csv files. I found this useful in trying to replicate and understand some of the flight data captured in real-world flying.

I've posted the attached file that explains the data fields (using DA40NG NXI Phase II) elsewhere, but since the file is tiny, I've included it here as well.
Attachments
G1000 NXI Flight Data Fields.pdf
(53.08 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

Hi Paul, All,
I have a legacy G1000. Do you think it would be valuable for legacy users to pick up the NXi PC Trainer? Garmin no longer supports or sells the legacy PC Trainer. Did you previously use the legacy G1000 PC Trainer? Do you know how close the operation of the NXi is to Legacy? Thanks for your guidance.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by chili4way »

If you have a functioning Legacy version of the PC Trainer and fly a Legacy aircraft that has the same GDU software version, it's hard for me to recommend spending the ~$50 to get the NXI version. While a lot of the G1000 functionality and knob/buttonology are the same, the differences in how the flight plan is displayed (i.e. in 3 sections, plus the approach section) may be distracting or confusing to some.

MyPilotStore still appears to sell the Legacy Version for ~$30. I'd probably opt for the Cessna NAV III instead of the Diamond Versions as the Cessna version appears to be updated to GDU V13, and I cannot find this specific information about the DA40 version they also appear to sell.

https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/6210