G1000 Legacy & NXi upgrade program

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

G1000 Legacy & NXi upgrade program

Post by TwinStarScott »

From the desk of CEO Scott McFadzean at Diamond Aircraft Canada:

A new G1000 upgrade program is officially being announced today through several channels, including this one.

For those flying behind a G1000 panel and who would like to obtain specific details, please refer to the attached document. A letter applicable to European owners will be released next week.

Thanks, the DAN 6.

Sincerely,
Russ, Paul, Dave, Emir, Colin & Scott

2020_Sept_9_DiamondG1000UpgradeProgram.pdf
(615.79 KiB) Downloaded 1584 times
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Re: G1000 Legacy & NXi upgrade program

Post by Chris »

Thanks, Scott, for posting the update from Diamond, and thanks to all of the "DAN 6" for continuing to advocate for the rest of the fleet.

At first glance, the pricing for upgrades seems more reasonable than the prior list from March, pretty much across the board. My first thought would be that if I had a non-WAAS G1000 aircraft and wanted to upgrade to WAAS, I'd be making that call ASAP before Diamond's "modest stock of ready-to-install GIA63Ws" gets snarfed up.

Other thoughts that come to mind are:
  • The GTX upgrades for the DA40-180 and DA42 aircraft are probably more expensive than what you can get from a competent local avionics shop unless prices have gone up substantially since we upgraded in 2019.
  • I don't see a path from Legacy G1000 to NXi for any airframe other than the DA62, even though these were mentioned in the prior communication. Do you know if these have been dropped or are still on the table?
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Chris wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:44 pm I don't see a path from Legacy G1000 to NXi for any airframe other than the DA62, even though these were mentioned in the prior communication. Do you know if these have been dropped or are still on the table?
For 3 years, Diamond couldn't deliver any new Lycoming DA40 XLT aircraft because G1000 NXi for that model had not yet been certified by Transport Canada, and Legacy G1000 components were out of production by Garmin. That changed in March of this year. So with NXi now certified for the Lycoming DA40, what's needed is for Diamond to come out with a Service Bulletin and Work Instructions for performing a Legacy G1000 --> G1000 NXi Phase II upgrade for Lycoming DA40s -- analogous to the similar SB and WI that have already been published for the DA62.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
salim
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Salim
Aircraft Registration: FHVES
Airports: LFPN

Post by salim »

Thanks to the DAN 6 for this very significant milestone !!

I look forward to the European version of the letter.

Any update on the G1000 software update for GIA63W equipped aircraft?
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

Hello and thanks for the continued progress.

I am in communications with Diamond to get the DA40-180 WAAS upgrade done. One of the authorized shops is a 15 minute flight for me. I had applied to be on the list originally last year but they never got as far as asking for a deposit. So I will keep you posted.

Anyone else get on the list for the DA40-180 WAAS upgrade?
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
klang
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: karl
Aircraft Registration: DGGWU
Airports: LSZC

Post by klang »

I contacted Diamond Austria requesting a quotation for the WAS upgrade of my DA42 legacy G1000. The response is a big surprise, making me wonder.
Quote: "...nach wie vor ist leider kein Diamond OSB / STC vorhanden welches uns den WAAS Einbau bei den DA42TDI Modellen ermöglicht..."
in English: "....unfortunately, Diamond still has no OSB/STC that would enable WAAS installation in DA42TDI models..."
DAI continues saying they have no GIA63 on stock and that these are difficult to find on the market. If that was not enough, Diamond refers me to an external STC that comes with 10`000 Euro just for the docu kit, parts and labor on top.
Do I miss something here?
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles K »

From the letter I saw the following:

DA42-TDI – The approval for WAAS operations on the DA42-TDI is pending, however the hardware and software
needed to employ them are currently approved for installation. Applicable owners/operators who move forward
with this feature, should anticipate having the work done as soon as practicable, regardless. In this event, the further
work to the aircraft when operations are approved, will be minimal (i.e. AFM update), and Diamond will ensure any
affected parties are notified and assisted to conclude this upgrade.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
salim
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Salim
Aircraft Registration: FHVES
Airports: LFPN

Post by salim »

Hello Klang,

I got precisely the same answer from Diamond Austria for my EASA registered DA42. I mentioned this to Emir who offered very kindly to clarify the situation with their contacts at Diamond
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles K »

I wanted to update all on my progress for a DA40 WAAS Upgrade.

I read the letter from Diamond this last Sunday and started email exchanges with Diamond that evening. There have been a few emails and a nice phone call today to confirm process. Because I went on the original list last year I am number 2 on the current list for a WAAS upgrade. They have GIA63Ws for me. I am supposed to receive a deposit invoice this week with parts available as soon as next week. Once I send the deposit - then the selected shop is the point of contact for the rest of the process. Diamond is just working to get deposits from serious upgrade participants. The parts then get ordered from the selected shop and the deposit is credited back to my bill from the shop on the GIA63Ws.

I selected Absolute Aero Maintenance at KHWD and they happen to be about a 15 minute flight from my home base of KCCR. I had a great call with the owner today and will coordinate with them as the process goes further. As I am close to annual and they have to remove interior for wiring, etc I will likely combine this with an annual and a couple of other items - looking to add the portable Arctic-Air RealAC unit as another on the board has done.

I will keep you posted as to progress.
Charles
KCCR Based
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

salim wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:53 pm I got precisely the same answer from Diamond Austria for my EASA registered DA42. I mentioned this to Emir who offered very kindly to clarify the situation with their contacts at Diamond
I brought this issue to attention to our group and we're waiting DAI to respond.