Another safe year for Diamonds

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Another safe year for Diamonds

Post by Rich »

We've now completed 4 straight calendar years without a single fatal accident in any Diamond in the US. And for all recorded history (25 years worth), fatal accidents in the US by type:
DA40-180: 7
DA20: 7
HK36: 2
All others: 0 (that's a zero!)
Total: 16

Outside the US, it's not so clean. All types have experienced at least one fatal accident over the years. The majority of fatal accidents in Diamonds are overseas. To include the US, I count 67 fatal accidents worldwide across all types in this same 25-year time frame. (One detail-there was one midair in England involving a DA40 that is classified as fatal that I excluded from this total because the DA 40 was landed uneventfully with no injuries to its occupants).
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Re: Another safe year for Diamonds

Post by pietromarx »

In a year of otherwise horrible news, this is both good news and hope for the future.

RIP those who have been lost.
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

That says a lot for the aircraft and perhaps some for the pilots that choose Diamond.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

What's perhaps unappreciated is that there have been ZERO Diamond twin (DA42 and DA62) fatalities in the US since they were introduced in 2006, with perhaps 400-500 aircraft in the US fleet.

I'm only aware of just a single US Diamond twin accident -- years ago a DA42 stalled out over the runway at KLNS and collapsed the gear, and I heard that plane is still flying.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

CFIDave wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:58 pm What's perhaps unappreciated is that there have been ZERO Diamond twin (DA42 and DA62) fatalities in the US since they were introduced in 2006, with perhaps 400-500 aircraft in the US fleet.

I'm only aware of just a single US Diamond twin accident -- years ago a DA42 stalled out over the runway at KLNS and collapsed the gear, and I heard that plane is still flying.
That is true. In fact it's true for all the diesel powered variants - singles and twins.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

CFIDave wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:58 pm What's perhaps unappreciated is that there have been ZERO Diamond twin (DA42 and DA62) fatalities in the US since they were introduced in 2006, with perhaps 400-500 aircraft in the US fleet.
That's extraordinary and perhaps one of the most underappreciated aviation safety statistics. If correct, pilots should really give more thought to buying Diamond twins over Cirrus etc given the statistical safety advantage.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

I compared my insurance with a friend who has an equivalent Cirrus. Let's just say that it was amusing and painful, respectively.
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Check out this video... for those of us thinking about moving from a DA40 to Cirrus SRxx or potentially a DA42/62, not so sure a Cirrus would have been so forgiving in this situation:

VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

AndrewM wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:09 pm Check out this video... for those of us thinking about moving from a DA40 to Cirrus SRxx or potentially a DA42/62, not so sure a Cirrus would have been so forgiving in this situation:

In this scenario, a post 2010 Cirrus (with the GSM86 gearbox, I think) would actually have performed better. The Cirrus has more safety features enabled on the GFC700 implementation than Diamond, additional features such as:

*Low Speed Protection
*Over Speed Protection
*Emergency Decent
*Level Button
*Auto Level
*Auto Yaw Damper Activation / De-activation
*Angle of Attack

The Diamond Garmin ESP (autopilot protection modes) are only:

*ESP (pitch/bank angle protection)
*USP - underspeed protection WHEN AP enabled.

The reason Cirrus would have been safer is:

(1) Angle of Attack System - would have annunciated (voice callout, CAS message) the aircraft was too slow by reference to the AoA.
(2) Rudder is automatically engaged on the G6 Cirrus above 200ft and disengages automatically below 200ft - so the Cirrus would have been better co-ordinated (even if AP is off).
(3) Low Speed Protection - Diamond has only USP (Underspeed Protection) which is active only when the AP is engaged. The Cirrus GFC700 would have nudged the nose down, like a stick pusher (depending on how close he was to the ground..., there is some limit).

In summary - Cirrus is not a ubiquitous implementation of safety features, one must look at it more granular. But assuming it has the updated servo gearbox (late 2010 onwards) and a recent software version (from approx 2014 I think added LSP), it would have annunciated, lowered the nose and remained co-ordinated - all things the DIamond did not do. This is the typical accident profile for the TBM - if one is so inclined, read all the NTSB reports for TBM accidents - very many are in this exact position where one gets slow, pours on lots of power and rolls over. Very typical TBM fatal (the reports will read as follows: 200ft, 1000ft, 1mile, 2miles short of the runway the airplane crashed because...)
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

AndrewM wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:09 pm Check out this video... for those of us thinking about moving from a DA40 to Cirrus SRxx or potentially a DA42/62, not so sure a Cirrus would have been so forgiving in this situation:
I'm pretty sure my DA40 saved my life one dark night while doing a go around for real. In a low, slow climbing turn from short final to avoid a mid-air collision with a plane taking off in the opposite direction, it was horrifying to look down and see an airspeed just above stall and the ball way off center. I had that same thought; Good thing this isn't a Cirrus.

Moving up to higher performance aircraft = risk increases, tolerance to error decreases.

The Cirrus stall is benign as long as you are coordinated. Even a skidding stall is easily recoverable but beware of the slipping (base to final overshoot) stall. Knowing where the dragon lives helps to avoid it.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22