Purchasing diamond paints

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Purchasing diamond paints

Post by Pehu »

Hi,

I got my DA62 recently and I noticed the propellers pick up small loose stones quite easily, creating small "hits" to the fuselage next to propellers. I havent flown on any gravel airstrips, but I guess some smaller airports had loose stones I did not see when taxiing. I plan to put some protective film later on to cover (and further protect) the small chips on paint. And apply some paint over the places where stones have hit.

I thought it would be easy to purchase the paint from Diamond, but seems it is not the case. My service center asked to get the paint, but Diamond (Austria) said they sell the paint in only 10 litre packaging and it will be 150 euros per litre. Ouch.

Is that really so? If I just need to have a little bit of the paint, say 50 to 100 milliliters, the "holes" in the paint are small and few. But purchasing huge quantities isn't really an option here. I am not painting the whole plane :)

Any help where to ask for smaller quantities?
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
cptndavid
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N16FA
Airports: N87

Re: Purchasing diamond paints

Post by cptndavid »

Try your local M.B. dealer. I use the white when needed for touch up. I guess other colors may match.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

If you look in the Diamond maintenance manual (AMM) for the DA62 available on Diamond's website, you can see all of the approved paint colors along with their paint codes and manufacturers. For example, the gold metallic paint for my DA62 is actually a BMW paint color that can be obtained (including touch-up kits) from multiple automotive sources. You can also find the paint code(s) for your DA62 by opening the right nose baggage compartment and pulling up the floor carpet.

So no need to go through Diamond to obtain touch-up paint.

I'm also surprised that you're seeing paint chips from the props on your DA62. While there is considerable erosion of the paint on my DA62's props, the clear vinyl protective covering/strips installed on the sides of the fuselage adjacent to the props have done a great job of preventing any paint damage to the fuselage.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

I didn't see these codes at all when I pulled the RH nose compartment carpet... I didn't pull it all the way, but there were no markings. It wasn't that easily removed so I didnt want to use too much force.

Anyways the color scheme is flamenco red over anthrazit. AMM says:

A002 BC A-71062 RUMPF ANTHRAZIT TOY-1E5
ANTHRAZIT PEARL TOY-1E5
(this should be metallic color)

A013 TSR-3993 FLAMENCO RED
(also metallic)

The red I can find with Volvo paints, it looks like the same. I did order some smaller bottles, from ebay etc, but they take a long time to arrive. The anthrazit I cannot locate at all with those codes at least.

About the paint chips: they actually appear "behind" the protective film closer to the wing. There is plenty of those on right side, two chips on the left side - but I guess the prop turning direction explains those differences. On right side, the prop throws smaller stones etc directly to the side, on left side they are thrown outwards.

I do have a piccy

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4glqwqych1owd ... s.jpg?dl=0

Not all the chips are visible here on the pic, only three biggest ones. So planning to add a bit more protection there. I counted 8 chips in total, 2 on the other side. Either I had super bad luck or too shitty runways ;)

So any help for the anthrazit paint would be awesome :)
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland