ForeFlight & Garmin Pilot: Side-by-Side - Part 3: VFR to Big Bear

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

ForeFlight & Garmin Pilot: Side-by-Side - Part 3: VFR to Big Bear

Post by waynemcc999 »

Today Jan and I continue (as friends 🙂) our short series, on another real-life flight, this time VFR to Big Bear. Welcome aboard! If you've used both of these market-leading products, what are your experiences and opinions? Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: ForeFlight & Garmin Pilot: Side-by-Side - Part 3: VFR to Big Bear

Post by Rich »

A feature of FF I always use when I'm really going anywhere is what I term the Flights lifecycle. Creating/modifying/briefing/filing (propagation among devices). Followed by loading to FPL, copying to GNS which drives Aspen/AP, modifying in flight.

Flights can be created months ahead in initial planning. I have the two legs required for the Colorado get-together already created, subject to final adjustment.

It'd be interesting to see the GP equivalent. Obviously the transfer to the navigator(s) is there.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Rich wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:33 pm A feature of FF I always use when I'm really going anywhere is what I term the Flights lifecycle. Creating/modifying/briefing/filing (propagation among devices). Followed by loading to FPL, copying to GNS which drives Aspen/AP, modifying in flight.

Flights can be created months ahead in initial planning. I have the two legs required for the Colorado get-together already created, subject to final adjustment.

It'd be interesting to see the GP equivalent. Obviously the transfer to the navigator(s) is there.
Rich, we're on the same FF wavelength!

Years ago when I started with ForeFlight my SOP was... Maps, FPL, make a route, then if IFR push to Flights. Now I use much the same Flights-based lifecycle that you suggest, specifically:
  • I always begin on the Flights tab, and always by preparing the flight as IFR with appropriate routing, altitude, passenger loading, fuel management, etc.
  • If I've flown this departure/destination pair before, I search for past flights (I still have all my Flights for the past 8 years stored in ForeFlight)... Copy Flight... grab the "expected" routing... modify loading etc as needed.
  • If a new routing, I might push the flight to the Maps tab to check for terrain clearance (would be nice if we could do this right in Flights)... but the Maps/FPL area is just a scratch pad, the real stuff is a Flight.
  • The Flight is of course the basis of several Briefings that I get... e.g. a couple days out, evening before, morning of.
  • Once I'm ready for engine start I make the decision if we're going to fly this leg IFR or VFR... if IFR, I click Proceed to File and call Clx Delivery/Ground... if VFR I just call for flight following.
  • If it does turn out to be a VFR outing, then I of course nudge my altitude +/- 500' and cut corners or transit MOAs as appropriate.
The above works nicely for me.

To your question about Garmin Pilot, I'll check with Jan to see if they have this duality and how it compares.

Thanks for sharing the lifecycle!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

Post by janders »

I agree. I also tend to use Trip Assistant to help me manage fuel stop planning. I wish it was available on an iPad too and not just on the web. Additionally, while I'm complaining about FF features, I wish I could see Jepp charts on the FF website too.
Current E50P owner
Former C172 and DA62 owner