Servicing options in Caribbean/Central America

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

gcampbe2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: CGKMA
Airports: CYOW

Servicing options in Caribbean/Central America

Post by gcampbe2 »

I'm a pilot just getting started out, having completed my PPL in May of this year, and fortunate enough to have just taken delivery of a shiny new DA40NG a few weeks ago. I couldn't be happier with my choice to go Diamond - the DA40NG is an incredible machine! That said, I definitely have a lot to learn about aircraft ownership; some days it feels like drinking from a firehose.

My plan is to build some hours and experience on the DA40NG, complete my instrument rating, and then in a year step up to the DA62, which really means I need to be thinking about placing an order now, given how backlogged Diamond is. My only concern with the DA62 is that in a few years I anticipate being based out of the Caribbean or Central America (Nicaragua potentially). The Diamond service network is pretty sparse in those parts of the world, with Mexico City and Puerto Rico being about the only options, or a flight back to Miami. While I can see making this work for 100/200 hour scheduled maintenance, I worry about unscheduled snags grounding the plan in a part of the world where there are no authorized Diamond service centers anywhere close.

I'm wondering if some of you experienced Diamond aviators could give me an idea of how real this concern is, and if any of you have direct experience with it. As I say, I’m totally new to the world of aircraft ownership, so perhaps for most problems the local mechanic down there would do just fine, I just hate to think of my plane being the first Diamond the guy with the wrench has ever encountered.

Thanks for any experience/advice you can share.
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Re: Servicing options in Caribbean/Central America

Post by michael.g.miller »

I’m based in PR with my DA42NG. Haven’t had any Diamond maintenance done yet, but here are my maintenance recommendations:

- Isla Grande flight school in San Juan has experience doing an annual on an avgas DA40. Very good mechanics and instructors, been in business for something like 60 years, 3rd generation family business. No diesel experience however.

- Matt Stewart operates the only diesel aircraft (DA40NG) I’m aware of in the Caribbean. He bases it out of St Thomas USVI and operates a flight school, UFlyVI, with it. They’ve operated it for 8 months or so and had the maintenance done by a local mechanic.

When you’re in the area, don’t forget to stop by Aguadilla TJBQ for some super cheap jet fuel. Around 3 bucks per gallon. I’d avoid Western Aviation Service “WASCO” since their ramp is gravel, but be sure to go to Copeca!
gcampbe2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by gcampbe2 »

Thanks for the recommendations Mike! Good to know there's at least a couple of spots down in the Caribbean that have some experience with basic maintenance. I look forward to hearing how maintenance in PR goes for you.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

The things which have put my DA42 on the ground have all been fixed by just regular mechanics, sometimes with advice from my deep-knowledge-base Diamond-approved mechanic advising them over the phone. It's not really an issue, as far as I can tell.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
gcampbe2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by gcampbe2 »

Thanks Colin! That's good to hear. It would really pain me to have to switch from Diamond just because of a lack maintenance availability down South.
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

My advice would be to get your hand on an engine dongle so you can read failure codes. That will make your life a lot easier if you get an ECU failure on the road
gcampbe2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by gcampbe2 »

Ya, that's not a bad idea. I've already had two inflight ECU cautions in my DA40NG. The first was a temporary max fuel pressure exceeded, likely due to me forgetting to turn off the fuel pump after takeoff. The second was related to me turning the electrical master off too quickly after turning off the engine master, a common user problem according to the folks at the Diamond factory. I slept a lot better after knowing what those ECU cautions were caused by. It is not a comfortable feeling with that caution lights up during flight over rough terrain.
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

Post by janders »

michael.g.miller wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:17 pm My advice would be to get your hand on an engine dongle so you can read failure codes. That will make your life a lot easier if you get an ECU failure on the road
How does one get their hands on such a dongle?
Current E50P owner
Former C172 and DA62 owner
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

N157DA wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:14 pm
michael.g.miller wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:17 pm My advice would be to get your hand on an engine dongle so you can read failure codes. That will make your life a lot easier if you get an ECU failure on the road
Normally you need to take Diamond's week-long maintenance training class that includes training on the operation of Austro Engine Wizard software (which uses the CAN-BUS hardware "dongle"). Then Diamond will sell you the dongle.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
bdbogle
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N687ML
Airports: KEFD

Post by bdbogle »

CFIDave wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:19 am
N157DA wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:14 pm
Normally you need to take Diamond's week-long maintenance training class that includes training on the operation of Austro Engine Wizard software (which uses the CAN-BUS hardware "dongle"). Then Diamond will sell you the dongle.
Don't like bumping old threads, but this question pertains to the "dongle". Is there a difference between the Peak PEH-002021/002022 dongle and the dongle provided by Austro/Diamond? Looks like the same exact part, but is there some type of license in the Diamond dongle that is needed to talk to the CANs in the aircraft?