PIREP: Icybreeze

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

PIREP: Icybreeze

Post by arksat »

I bought the Icebreeze portable AC unit.
https://www.icybreeze.com/

I chose V2 Pro model over Platinum model as I don't need a USB power port for +$50. They are basically the same.

What I like:
  • It does its job. At OAT 84F, I feel cooler when the vent is pointed to my neck. Unlike car AC, it does not cool down the cabin temp in noticeable way so it's important to point directly to your body.
  • Remote control cable (simple on/off switch) is nice.
  • Powered by Li-ion battery pack, separated from aircraft power.
  • The unit can be fit in the baggage area. I used an extension hose to blow the cockpit.

What I don't like:
  • The unit could be smaller. It has a large capacity so you can use it as a regular cooler box while using as AC, but I prefer more compact size.

I wish it could generate even cooler air, but I feel the difference and it provides some comfort in the summer.
I considered DIY'ing this thing, but overall ~$400 was not a bad investment for a fully-assembled, removable portable AC.
Attachments
IMG_5058.jpg
IMG_5057 (1).jpg
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: PIREP: Icybreeze

Post by Colin »

Be aware that you are parking a couple gallons of water directly over the avionics rack. I'd at least have that strapped down and I would leak check it a few times. If you get a sharp bump of turbulence what keeps the top on the cooler?
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Re: PIREP: Icybreeze

Post by Charles K »

I used the B-Kool for about the same price and agree the ice unit coolers do make an impact - the trouble is having to make the block ice and how do you get good ice for the return trip. Always dealing with loading ice, emptying the water upon return became old.

I plunked down the $ for the ArcticAir Real AC (compressor driven real AC unit) and required PlanePower 150A alternator, etc. One of the best things I ever put in my plane!
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated