DA 40 busts TFR...

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

DA 40 busts TFR...

Post by Steve »

Interesting audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZXKXWLWcec

I think that this is a flight school airplane. I learned to fly in this area, so all of the landmarks are familiar to me. Yet another reason why I monitor Guard at all times in flight...
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Re: DA 40 busts TFR...

Post by mhoran »

Incredible. When I was flying back from SouthTec last week I heard someone bust the SFRA in DC. It sounded pretty similar, with the US Air Force making multiple attempts to reach the pilot. I was off frequency before they reached the pilot or intercepted them. It's crazy to me that someone wouldn't know about the SFRA. TFRs can pop up (the one currently over New York was only issued just before midnight last night) but there's still no excuse.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: DA 40 busts TFR...

Post by Steve »

Being intercepted by fighters can be fun. Back in the 80s when I was in a Patrol Squadron at Moffett Field, we were sometimes tasked with an additional mission upon returning from our primary tasking (tracking Soviet submarines) over the Pacific Ocean. These "Unknown Rider" missions had us approach the West coast from unexpected directions/positions/altitudes, with our Mode 4 (IFF) codes intentionally corrupted.

These evolutions were used to test and evaluate the ready alert air defense squadrons. Generally speaking, a few minutes after busting the ADIZ, we would see a Phantom (with Sidewinders) off our left wing (with another unseen one in trail, of course). After a few minutes, they would peel off dramatically.

Fun...