Are new posts being tracked properly?

A place for you to give us feedback on the site, what's working well, and what other features you'd like to see

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Are new posts being tracked properly?

Post by Chris »

I don't have much data to support this, but I think I've seen the same posts showing up as 'New' during separate login sessions. I may have been logging in from different computers when this happened.

This reminded me of an issue I'd seen on another forum where the 'new post' information was tracked using browser cookies instead of using a server-side database table. If I recall correctly, that BB system supported either method but you had to change a setting to use the server-side database method. Using server-side info is better since it keeps track of what posts have been read even if you log in from different computers or flush your browser cookies.

I'm not sure if phpBB has the same feature or not. Perhaps it is already set up that way and I simply wasn't properly logged in during one of my visits, causing me to think that it was marking posts that I had already seen as new.

Here's a link to a related topic (for vbulletin, not phpBB):
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthre ... ark%20read
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
admin
Site Admin
First Name: admin
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: Are new posts being tracked properly?

Post by admin »

Chris, I haven't had time to check on this any earlier, but it seems that new posts are being tracked on the server side. If you experience any problems, please post it again and we'll have to take some more time to check thoroughly.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Re: Are new posts being tracked properly?

Post by Chris »

admin wrote:Chris, I haven't had time to check on this any earlier, but it seems that new posts are being tracked on the server side. If you experience any problems, please post it again and we'll have to take some more time to check thoroughly.
It seems to be working fine. I logged in yesterday from three different systems and everything was in sync. It was probably just my brain that was acting flaky.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO