Photo gallery?

A place for you to give us feedback on the site, what's working well, and what other features you'd like to see

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Photo gallery?

Post by Chris »

It would be nice for users to post their DA-related photos into a gallery of some sort. A quick search turned up a Mod that might be appropriate for this.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1825475
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Re: Photo gallery?

Post by Chris »

In a similar vein, could we enable the Avatar functionality? The User Control Panel indicates that it is disabled.
Chris
KHIO
admin
Site Admin
First Name: admin
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by admin »

Chris,

I looked into the gallery you suggested. It currently supports only two styles prosilver and subsilver2. Unfortunately, the style of this board is not supported.

There are only two solutions: editing the mod itself of changing the style.

Both would come with many hours of work as the prosilver and subsilver styles would need different sizes of artwork, banners, colors and forum functions would need to be edited.

If we run into more problems in adapting mods, we might have to change the style anyway. It seems that most mods work nicely only with these two styles.

You might have seen that right now bigger photos bust the frame. We are currently installing a mod which will auto-resize the pictures.

Another idea would be to make a gallery in another than the forum environment, but would be less ideal.

Will enable avatars now.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris »

It looks like avatars are working now, thanks!

It also seems like the color scheme changed, unless it's just my computer acting up. Looks good to me, though. Is that from switching to a new style in hopes of getting more Mods to work?

If you want some help hacking php, let me know. I've done a little of that in the past, but can't say that I'm proficient at it.
Chris
KHIO
admin
Site Admin
Airports:

Post by admin »

Yes, Chris. As I changed the banner and made it a bit more blue than green, I also had to change a few colors of the style. It is still the same style and I am waiting for the coder to let me know what he suggests.

Changing to subsilver style might not be a bad move. I might be able to enable different styles for the user. This way you could look what it looks like and if you like it. Will pm you to show you once it is done. If it doesn´t fit for our purposes, we might have to adapt the script.
admin
Site Admin
Airports:

Post by admin »

Chris,

the gallery is working already in subsilver2 (http://www.diamondaviators.com/forum/gallery/index.php). Also, we are slowly switch the board's default style to subsilver2. You can already see the first changes if you load it with the board preferences of the User Control Panel.

Now we just need the images of beautiful Diamond Aircraft :)
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

What is the procedure to upload pictures in the gallery ?
Jean
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
admin
Site Admin
Airports:

Post by admin »

Jean wrote:What is the procedure to upload pictures in the gallery ?
Jean
Quite simple: click on [GALLERY] in the upper menu bar, then on "DA40". If you want to upload pictures of another type, I will have to make up a new thread or rename the existing.

Then click on the huge button [Image Upload] and give the picture(s) you wish to upload a name or description. Underneath is a box where you can enter the path to upload.

If you find it complicated or not logical, let me know and I will try to make it easier.
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

admin wrote:
Jean wrote:What is the procedure to upload pictures in the gallery ?
Jean
Quite simple: click on [GALLERY] in the upper menu bar, then on "DA40". If you want to upload pictures of another type, I will have to make up a new thread or rename the existing.

Then click on the huge button [Image Upload] and give the picture(s) you wish to upload a name or description. Underneath is a box where you can enter the path to upload.

If you find it complicated or not logical, let me know and I will try to make it easier.
How about a gallery for Non-Diamond aviation photos? I plan to take a few photos at Oshkosh including some of the new Cobalt Co50. Is there a practical limit to file size or number of photos we can post? How much does this cost?
Gary
Addendum: Just found the file size limit of 512kB
admin
Site Admin
Airports:

Post by admin »

Gary wrote: If you find it complicated or not logical, let me know and I will try to make it easier.
How about a gallery for Non-Diamond aviation photos? I plan to take a few photos at Oshkosh including some of the new Cobalt Co50. Is there a practical limit to file size or number of photos we can post? How much does this cost?
Gary
Addendum: Just found the file size limit of 512kB[/quote]

Gary,

the maximum size is set to 1600x1200 and viewing size to 800x600. No cost involved. Sure you can upload also some of other aviation-related pictures. I will create a sub-gallery and name it "Other aviation-related pictures". Feel free to suggest a better name or to correct me wherever you find errors or better ways of expressing or naming something. English is not my native language and I need your help to disguise it as much as possible. ;)

The Cobalt, btw, looks like a really interesting plane. There are some obvious disadvantages of the Canard design: thin wings will lead to a long t/o roll and higher landing speeds, means longer landing strips needed. Nevertheless, I am very interested, like the design and am ancious to find out about the price. Their website doesn't say that.