DiamondAviators.com/Reports ONLINE

A place for you to give us feedback on the site, what's working well, and what other features you'd like to see

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Re: DiamondAviators.com/Reports ONLINE

Post by Kai »

Rick wrote:Kai, I see you have already addressed the items I posted just a few hours ago! You provide MUCH better support then ANY other software product I've ever used - and for a much better price! How can you do this???? I am very impressed.
Thanks. Getting good feedback is much more of a motivation than anything you would get from a paying customer. Therefore it's a bit faster.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Just took another look at the reports feature after being away from it for a while - you have made some great progress! The addition of the second parameter on the graph helps a lot. The file management is getting much better, too. Nice job!

Once thing I noticed - you added "Average CHT" and "Average EGT" values - very nice - but the values don't seem to be correct. I am assuming you mean the "average of the 4 cyl. temps", but the values displayed are always quite a bit lower then what the average of the 4 temps should be. Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting what these parameters should be displaying?

One other minor thing - in the parameter selection, you have "Speed" - is that TAS or GS? Might be helpful to clarify it, like you did with "IAS"
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Rick wrote:Just took another look at the reports feature after being away from it for a while - you have made some great progress! The addition of the second parameter on the graph helps a lot. The file management is getting much better, too. Nice job!
Thank you :)
Rick wrote:Once thing I noticed - you added "Average CHT" and "Average EGT" values - very nice - but the values don't seem to be correct. I am assuming you mean the "average of the 4 cyl. temps", but the values displayed are always quite a bit lower then what the average of the 4 temps should be. Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting what these parameters should be displaying?
I will check on this and report back.
Rick wrote:One other minor thing - in the parameter selection, you have "Speed" - is that TAS or GS? Might be helpful to clarify it, like you did with "IAS"
It should be ground speed, but will have to check this, too. We have just updated today and I am still trying to figure out a few things which I didn't understand.

In the next days I will have to fly quickly to the next Diamond service center to get my G1000 updated in order to use this great feature, too :roll:

Meanwhile I have been working to figure out the pinout of the SD-cards and a way to make the G1000 SD-slot an interface for external appliances. It is definitely not as simple as it seems.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rick »

Kai wrote:In the next days I will have to fly quickly to the next Diamond service center to get my G1000 updated in order to use this great feature, too :roll:
I can't believe you've spent so much time on this feature, and you can't even use it!!! How frustrating! :shock:
Kai wrote:Meanwhile I have been working to figure out the pinout of the SD-cards and a way to make the G1000 SD-slot an interface for external appliances. It is definitely not as simple as it seems.
I just assumed it was a "standard SD card" interface (IS such a thing?). I mean, it seems to read and write any old SD card I plug into it, so how could Garmin screw it up?

More food for thought, while you're hacking. You know there are a bunch of Ethernet links running between the various G1000 modules, right? Have you ever added a hub and a packet sniffer to any of them? I've always wanted to try that, but haven't had the chance (I hate not having a hangar). I suspect there is much data to be had on those links, and maybe easier to get to that way then via the SD card slot. Just a thought...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Tim
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N395JP

Post by Tim »

Oh my goodness.... my '40 is bein' hacked!!
How do I load Mcafee on to it??
:)
Private pilot & IR
N395JP
DA40.410
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Kai wrote:I just assumed it was a "standard SD card" interface (IS such a thing?). I mean, it seems to read and write any old SD card I plug into it, so how could Garmin screw it up?
Nope, I am not aware they could have screwed anything up and the pinout is quite easy http://pinouts.ru/Memory/sdcard_pinout.shtml. Nevertheless, nobody ever made a connector with a plug to connect an external appliance to an SD slot. (At least that is what I believe now) Also, SD runs with 3.3V while USB is a 5V interface.

It would be so nice if we could readout directly from there as any other solution would mean putting hands on the hardware and I am afraid this would imply we might need an STC which would be quite impossible to obtain. Nevertheless, your idea to tab the internal ethernet might be interesting, too.
Tim wrote:Oh my goodness.... my '40 is bein' hacked!!
How do I load Mcafee on to it??
:lol:
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Rick wrote:I suspect there is much data to be had on those links, and maybe easier to get to that way then via the SD card slot. Just a thought...
What do you think of this one: http://www.saelig.com/product/MIO001.htm

Will it be possible to readout the data while writing the file? Maybe through a temporary copy?

Maybe I should be following the path to sniff the ethernet traffic of the G1000 units, but I am a bit afraid of messing around with the hardware of the G1000 and I don't have a hangar either.
Attachments
mobidapter725[1].jpg
mobidapter725[1].jpg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Kai wrote:
Rick wrote:I suspect there is much data to be had on those links, and maybe easier to get to that way then via the SD card slot. Just a thought...
What do you think of this one: http://www.saelig.com/product/MIO001.htm

Will it be possible to readout the data while writing the file? Maybe through a temporary copy?
I doubt it. It appears that will just allow you to use a USB memory stick instead of an SD card. What is it that you're trying to do again? Read out data in real-time and display it somehow?
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Chris wrote:I doubt it. It appears that will just allow you to use a USB memory stick instead of an SD card. What is it that you're trying to do again? Read out data in real-time and display it somehow?
Yep, the idea is to use the SD slot as an interface and read out data in real-time and display it on an external device.

Now the problem with the mobiadapter would be that its connecting port would work as a host, not a device, which would be needed to connect it to a laptop.

So, mobiadapter is kind of ruled out, I guess.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rick »

Kai wrote:Now the problem with the mobiadapter would be that its connecting port would work as a host, not a device, which would be needed to connect it to a laptop.
Not to mention the fact that it would be ugly sticking out of the upper MFD slot! :roll:
Roanoke, VA (KROA)