Welcome to Forum

A place for you to give us feedback on the site, what's working well, and what other features you'd like to see

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Welcome to Forum

Post by Gary »

I think it might be a good idea to have a "forum" called Welcome to Diamond Aviators Net.
It would have a brief welcome message stating the purpose and philosophy of this site followed by some basic rules as Kai has previously written. It would then give a brief overview of the site and where to find things like links to technical publications and how to get to the Board Options. It should also describe Diamond Reports and how to use it. Otherwise we expect someone to wander around this site to find all of the useful and cool stuff before they leave.
Also, how about a separate heading for links to technical publications so they can be relocated out of the Wiki which should be reserved for original content?
Tim
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N395JP
Airports: KROA

Re: Welcome to Forum

Post by Tim »

Good idea. Anything that makes the experience easier and more productive will encourage repeat visitors. The board is coming along really well & there's a lot of great stuff on here - why not show it off!
Private pilot & IR
N395JP
DA40.410
admin
Site Admin
First Name: admin
Airports:

Re: Welcome to Forum

Post by admin »

Gary wrote:I think it might be a good idea to have a "forum" called Welcome to Diamond Aviators Net.
It would have a brief welcome message stating the purpose and philosophy of this site followed by some basic rules as Kai has previously written. It would then give a brief overview of the site and where to find things like links to technical publications and how to get to the Board Options. It should also describe Diamond Reports and how to use it. Otherwise we expect someone to wander around this site to find all of the useful and cool stuff before they leave.
Also, how about a separate heading for links to technical publications so they can be relocated out of the Wiki which should be reserved for original content?
I agree that it would be good to have an introduction-page as you describe. On the other hand I have made the experience that people don't want to read instructions, they want to see and click. Could you imagine that 60% of the registrations are with other than first names although we have now changed the requirement in bold and red right before the field where to enter the username. (I don't read instructions either :oops: ) Therefore I would think that the site needs to be more intuitive and easier to follow and understand. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have a Welcome page.

If you wish you can write such a page in "Site Feedback" and I will gladly make it sticky, means it would be always in the first place. Also, we could re-name "Site Feedback" to "Introductory and Site Feedback" forum or so. I am sure you would find a better name for this.