DAN WORLD beta is up!!

A place for you to give us feedback on the site, what's working well, and what other features you'd like to see

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Re: DAN WORLD beta is up!!

Post by Tim H »

Awesome!! Thank you Kai.
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

OK, a bit of information: we have tried to add an IATA database but it wouldn't give good results. All airport information should be in ICAO code.

Some people have added more than one airport. We read out the first only.

Now, the individual users will show up on the map. "Anonymous" are those ones who decided not to publish their information but who still added it in order to use DAN REPORTS.

Do not expect to see any change you make on airport information as we update the database only once per day, so it can take up to 24 hrs until the change will be displayed on DAN WORLD.

Cary, how much more for the coder to do? Any ideas? ;)
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Kai wrote:Cary, how much more for the coder to do? Any ideas? ;)
This is really good. But, I need your coder to come and fix my work PC. It turns out that at work using a Dell computer and Windows XP with IE7 if I go to the Quick Links->Map, I get a map but absolutely no info on DA locations, even if I zoom to very high levels - only a map with map features. However, when I do the same at home use an iMac it works out well and I even see that I show up on the map. Did I say that I hate PC's ;) , or maybe I shouldn't be looking at DAN when I'm at work :-D

Keep up the good work.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Henrik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Henrik
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports:

Post by Henrik »

:thumbsup:

However,...

1. I'd remove the type specifics from the main map. It really just clutters everything up - 4 colours are too much (none of which are intuitive, and the quadrantal layout is confusing too). Even worse they're also shown for types with = 0 airframes, in other words the colour yields no information. Besides, the type information isn't extremely relevant at a first glance. At a wide zoom where only the type totals for the entire region is shown, the information is even less relevant. Instead I'd simply detail the type information in the popup. (when you click on the individual airport)

2. At wide zooms the map aggregate into regional totals & you no longer see the individual airports. I think it'd be more useful to still show the individual locations, even at wide zooms. This would show the density & distribution at a glance. (for instance, more Diamond owners on East or West coast?) Also interesting outliers would be immediately apparent. If you eliminate the type specifics above, there'd be ok space to show individual airports, even at global zoom.

(sorry Kai, I do this kind of stuff for a living... :D )
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Henrik wrote::thumbsup:

However,...

1. I'd remove the type specifics from the main map. It really just clutters everything up - 4 colours are too much (none of which are intuitive, and the quadrantal layout is confusing too). Even worse they're also shown for types with = 0 airframes, in other words the colour yields no information. Besides, the type information isn't extremely relevant at a first glance. At a wide zoom where only the type totals for the entire region is shown, the information is even less relevant. Instead I'd simply detail the type information in the popup. (when you click on the individual airport)

2. At wide zooms the map aggregate into regional totals & you no longer see the individual airports. I think it'd be more useful to still show the individual locations, even at wide zooms. This would show the density & distribution at a glance. (for instance, more Diamond owners on East or West coast?) Also interesting outliers would be immediately apparent. If you eliminate the type specifics above, there'd be ok space to show individual airports, even at global zoom.

(sorry Kai, I do this kind of stuff for a living... :D )
So you are doing stuff for a living? I always thought you guys in Sing are far above this worldly pastime :D

Thanks for looking into this and taking the time to explain your ideas. I think we can declutter this a bit more. I am not sure on how far we can show more airports also from a wide zoom. But will look into that.
Henrik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Henrik
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by Henrik »

Kai wrote:So you are doing stuff for a living? I always thought you guys in Sing are far above this worldly pastime :D
Dude, I almost choked on my foie gras sandwich right there - surely you're not suggesting Singers are more averse to working for a living than - gasp! - the Australians?!

(sorry, Robin - I just watched an Oz-themed Flight of the Conchords episode last night :P )

Anyway, DAN World is looking real exciting! Interesting, we've got a DA40 in Hawaii...
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Great Kai,
Now I can see my spot and the two other belgian DAN members ! We could plan a fly in ;)
I don't like the visual too much: when you zoom in, the tags get smaller and smaller. The Google hotel spotting scheme is more friendly to,me (but I know DAN is not Google). Maybe some Sings could help, betwween two foie gras toasts :D
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

I don' mean to put the blame on the Sings. Quoting Aart:
Again, this is info from a Diamond distributor. I have not yet been able to verify directly with Thielert and will do so, but can I first go back to my pool now, please?
Aart can you help ? (I mean when you're done with al your burden, sun bathes and all that) 8-)
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Jean wrote:Great Kai,
Now I can see my spot and the two other belgian DAN members ! We could plan a fly in ;)
Haha, you can even boast that in Belgium you have more Diamonds than in China, which is considerably bigger (in size only, of course). Belgium even has more Diamonds than Raleigh-Durham!
Jean wrote:I don't like the visual too much: when you zoom in, the tags get smaller and smaller. The Google hotel spotting scheme is more friendly to,me (but I know DAN is not Google). Maybe some Sings could help, betwween two foie gras toasts :D
Yep, I understand what you mean. But the architecture of this map also allows you to see how many planes you have in a country or state or even airport. If the pins were all individual pins, then we would have a lot of pins in one place (as we take the airport position which is the same for all planes on that airport).
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Kai wrote:Yep, I understand what you mean. But the architecture of this map also allows you to see how many planes you have in a country or state or even airport. If the pins were all individual pins, then we would have a lot of pins in one place (as we take the airport position which is the same for all planes on that airport).
You could put a number on each pin, which would be the total number of Diamond aircraft at that airport. Most pins would probably just have a "1" on them. And yes, the pins would "stack" when you zoomed out (to the world, for instance), but you would still get a good sense of how many there are and where they are clustered from that view, and then zooming in gives you better resolution. Hovering over a pin could still bring up the same information you are currently showing - aircraft type and owner.

I'm thinking something like this as a model.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)