Thank you all and Farewell

A place for you to give us feedback on the site, what's working well, and what other features you'd like to see

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Moonshine
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Max
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: N727FP
Airports: KPWK

Re: Thank you all and Farewell

Post by Moonshine »

I'm with Antoine on that - sorry for creeping the thread offroad.

That being said, I've been a member of the both kinds of forums - those that are moderated and those that are.. laissez-faire.
The later kind tends to have better member loyalty in the long run.
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Sorry for not answering any earlier, but I was busy travelling again and just got back home. First of all, I hate to see Alexander being offended or angry about me deleting a few posts (including mine, btw). At no point my intention was to correct him or anyone else or even to "censor" the OT posts.

I cleaned up and deleted a few posts which were about cars in the "Pipistrel Panthera"-thread. That I delete some posts happens three times per year, usually when another user calls my attention to a thread-drift or advertising. Maybe I should be more careful about deleting and ask the member to delete that stuff himself before. And I would have done so if I would have thought that somebody could get offended.

By default, every user who has posted something in a thread, gets an email notification. Some of them are really just interested in -let´s say "Pipistrel Panthera"- not in Audi/BMW/Q7s or so. Yet, they get a thread update notification, log in to DAN and are then disappointed to see that their initial issue isn´t being dealt with anymore. Btw, I am drifting threads sometimes just for the fun of it and when I realized I did, I have deleted my own posts.

Nobody will post "I am leaving DAN because there is no moderation". They will silently not log in anymore as DAN will lose importance to them. A lot of members just use our threads as a reference to sort out problems we have discussed earlier. If those threads drift into other directions, it is hard to read them and to extract the important information. Sometimes the thread dies because of a drift.

To a certain point the members have to allow the moderators to delete a few posts.

At this point I should say that DAN has the most educated and well-behaved members I have ever seen on fora. Alexander, you are one of us and should keep participating.

Btw, most of the time I correct broken links, correct it when someone accidently calls a member "Jack" instead of "Jeff" and these kind of things. I never edited or even "censored" an opinion.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N415AM
Airports: KADH

Post by Gasser »

Kai, I'm very glad for this forum. I wish the member that left would come back but I can't help but think that a member that takes his ball and goes home after only one incident has had something bigger happen to him in the past and is over reacting based on a past experience.

Thanks for all the work you put in.

Jeff
Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD
2006 SR22, A/C, TKS, AVIDYINE PFD/MFD, IFD 540/440, AXP322 remote ADS-B TRANSPONDER, AMX240 AUDIO PANEL, MLB100 ADS B in.
168 KTAS 9,000' msl @ 13.6 gph LOP. 1005 pound useful load.
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Jeff, I'm with you. I like this forum well enough and I am interested enough to hear what you folks have to say, and I learn interesting tidbits sometimes...that I'm still here even though I sold my DA40 2 years ago for a Mooney. So I am on a Mooney forum, but I am still here. And who knows....maybe one day I will be driving around in a DA52.

But anyway, fair enough if someone wants to leave because they do not like the editing, but I understand full well why the editing is happening. So that the discussion is streamlined for future archival use. It takes some trust in the moderator to allow this to proceed but Kai is taking a light touch and I fully trust the intent. True enough I also sometimes read beechtalk which is a wealth of engine information because all the GAMI and engine seminar guys fly Beech's and post over there - but wow it is sometimes hard to find archival information in posts that run 15 to 20 pages.

I have a suggestion Kai - maybe let something stand for a few weeks before you edit as a policy. That way any chit chat can proceed normally and then the chit chat might be edited away for archival purposes. I enjoy the chit chat as it happens as well. And I am also quite a chit chatter myself.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Add my one vote for this being the best place for Diamond owners to share ideas, problems, and solutions. It would be hard to put a price tag on the help I have already received. All I can do is try to pay it forward whenever I can.

I know for a fact that I am not perfect when it comes to wandering on a thread (I do that in real life as well :oops: ) . . . but I try to correct myself. Overall I think we do a great job and I have never seen a more helpful or considerate group.

I, too, would like to invite Alexander to reconsider his decision. I think Kai does a great job and I'm sure that he would be the first to admit that the decisions are not always easy nor will they always please all of us. I'm OK with him making them. If I have a question, I'll send him a PM. IMO, we should all do that.