Email address harvesting

A place for you to give us feedback on the site, what's working well, and what other features you'd like to see

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Email address harvesting

Post by Keith M »

Every so often (eg. the last comment here), someone helpfully posts an email address, unaware that spambots will harvest it and subsequently that address will be hammered with spam. Some forum software automatically disguises addresses, using techniques such as those described here. I don't know if there's an addon for PHPBB which could be used, or if the bad word filter could be modified to do the job, but I'll leave the idea with you.
GLDAS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N969GL
Airports: LL10

Re: Email address harvesting

Post by GLDAS »

Keith,
Thanks for pointing this out. My email, with which I used to sign posts here, has been getting a ton of spam, particularly from Brazil. Curious if others are getting all sorts of Portuguese language e-commerce spam?

-dan
dan at Gr8lakesdymond.com :-)
Dan P. Eldridge
Great Lakes Diamond
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Re: Email address harvesting

Post by Kai »

My personal point of view: I really don't know why people would post their or even other people´s private email address in a public forum. I can't help being a bit cynical now and suggest to use the ultimate spam avoidance mod of this forum: the private messaging system. In there you can even exchange email addresses. :D

The price of a public forum is that you cannot publish private email addresses.

As an admin I say: If anybody knows of phpbb mods which will disguise the email automatically, I have no problem in trying to install it if it goes well with this version of phpbb.

Suggestions can be posted here, pm-ed or sent to
email.jpg
email.jpg (3.06 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
*image generated with
text.jpg
text.jpg (1.81 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)