HELP: Login required after each click

A place for you to give us feedback on the site, what's working well, and what other features you'd like to see

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

HELP: Login required after each click

Post by BRS »

I've been having an issue with the forum 'login'. If I login and go to another thread or other link it asks me to login again. Seems that the cookie or what ever is getting lost each time I change pages.

Suggestions?

Firefox and Safari are both doing this.

-brs
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Re: HELP: Login required after each click

Post by Kai »

Geesh. Rich had the same problem with Safari and Firefox. But not as bad. And it fixed itself. We just don't know how. Will try to reproduce the error this weekend and s3e if there's a fix.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Brock, this sounds like the very same problem I was having a few weeks ago (IE10 in my case). And as Kai said, it just magically disappeared one day. But, in the mean time, you can try this "fix". Log in, then cut the "&sid=nnnnnnn" from the end of the URL, then as you move to your next page (and notice you are once again logged out!), just paste that &sid=... text to the end of the URL, and magically you are logged back in again! I found I could then browse a few more posts before having to repeat the process again. Hopefully the magic will kick in soon...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

It might be worthwhile to look at cookie expiration dates. I have not kept track but on most paths (URL landing page and emailed new comment links) I am now staying logged in for a few days, never longer so far. Is cookie life configurable from the administrators panel?
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Firefox on Chrome could not repeat the problem. I do not have a Mac for testing. I would update Browser and Mac and try again. Other users have not reported this issue. Will look into the traffic stats and see how many of our users use a Mac and Safari to log in here.

Rick mentioned a workaround. I think you are always logged in but you might not see it. I will also look deeper into this.

Cookie settings: the admin panel is outright boring when it comes to cookie settings. Screenshot attached. It seems the cookies are set with a validity for one year. I have not been logged out for over a week now.

Cookie settings.png
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

(Mis)behavior came back yesterday, magically and remains today.

No other sites I access are behaving this way, FWIW.

Curiouser and curiouser.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Came back for me as well. Having to log in every time again. Chrome is pre-populating my login but DiamondAviators does not seem to recognize its own cookie (or it inactivated; I did not check).
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

rwtucker wrote:Came back for me as well. Having to log in every time again. Chrome is pre-populating my login but DiamondAviators does not seem to recognize its own cookie (or it inactivated; I did not check).
That's what it looked like for me, also. I checked and I was generating cookies right and left, as I continued to re-login. Switched to Safari for this site as, for whatever reason, safari doesn't have this problem with the site.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Rich wrote:
rwtucker wrote:Came back for me as well. Having to log in every time again. Chrome is pre-populating my login but DiamondAviators does not seem to recognize its own cookie (or it inactivated; I did not check).
That's what it looked like for me, also. I checked and I was generating cookies right and left, as I continued to re-login. Switched to Safari for this site as, for whatever reason, safari doesn't have this problem with the site.
Well, this behavior mysteriously appeared a couple of days ago in Safari and persists to this day. :?:
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

But I have not changed anything since then. Maybe an update from Safari?