Wiki

A place for you to give us feedback on the site, what's working well, and what other features you'd like to see

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Wiki

Post by Gary »

I like the new site format.
Any chance of starting a wiki page? It could be used to link to technical reference publications from Diamond as well as other miscellaneous user supplied information.

Gary
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Re: Wiki

Post by Kai »

Yes, Gary. A Wiki should be possible. Now there are two challenges: get people to write it and then my question would be: would you like the Wiki as a closed Category where we post only Wiki-articles with no option to comment or would you prefer a completely different format?

My suggestion would be a new category and it could be locked so that only Wiki posts we admit are being published. What are your ideas?
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gary »

I think we need a place to have links to (or actual pdf files) of reference material or technical publications including maintenance manuals, lists of service bulletins, etc. I do not know the best way to do this. Would it be possible to have both a closed Wiki for reference material and an open Wiki for user supplied information such as a weight and balance or maintenance shop section? I am willing to do the work to populate the reference Wiki once it is in place.
Gary
admin
Site Admin
First Name: admin
Airports:

Post by admin »

Gary,

this could be www.diamondaviators.com/wiki/ and add all contents you described could be saved there. We would then post in the wiki page the links to the contents.

We should work with the same format always, pdf seems the best choice here. The Diamond Aircraft website has all the information you described already. I am quite sure we can just make a link to each of these pages to make it easier for the user and for us.

Our own content could be hosted and saved as said above in the /wiki/ archive. I will have this ready by tomorrow and then you can start sending files which can be dropped into this archive and linked.
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gary »

admin wrote:Gary,

this could be http://www.diamondaviators.com/wiki/ and add all contents you described could be saved there. We would then post in the wiki page the links to the contents.

We should work with the same format always, pdf seems the best choice here. The Diamond Aircraft website has all the information you described already. I am quite sure we can just make a link to each of these pages to make it easier for the user and for us.

Our own content could be hosted and saved as said above in the /wiki/ archive. I will have this ready by tomorrow and then you can start sending files which can be dropped into this archive and linked.
I agree with using links instead of the actual pdf files for most technical documents.
The Diamond site can be a little difficult to navigate. I want to make it easy to get valuable information on this site to encourage people to use it.
The goal is to produce a better product (than Phil) at a lower price and we should easily out compete DAA.
Gary
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gary »

This site is coming along very nicely. Excellent work Kai. I really like the gallery. It is amazing that DAA members have been asking for this and can't get it in spite of paying $49 more per year than here. Would it be possible to have sub folders in the gallery or should we have more galleries or leave it as it is? I have been posting some photos of my 40 with the cowl and seats removed to show the inner workings. I feel like I am clogging up the gallery, perhaps I should be more selective.
Gary
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Thanks, Gary. I am glad you like it. Also, I am always a bit worried to make things too complicated and feel sorry for the ones who need a bit more time to figure out the functions of this board.

As I have seen your reply in the Wiki-thread it painfully reminded me that I have abandonded for a little while the Wiki-page and links-page. I will have it ready by Monday.

re gallery: For 49 $/year or 10.000$ per year the DAA could pay an excellent full-time coder/admin who'd make a better page out of this than facebook. I have heard that a Brian gets paid for his work. Quite frankly, I can't see this. He does an update every 18 months (which takes about 20 minutes) and fixes a few things here and there.

I guess he needs to negotiate each mod and update with Phil who feels that he needs to be cautious with the limited funds of the members of the DAA, LOL :lol:

Well, it seems our gallery here is being accepted and I hope we get a lot more pictures. You don't have to worry too much about bandwidth. Sincerely, hosting cost is a joke for someone with own servers and if you are used to fill up a DA40 in Luxor or Kuwait, you don't worry about these things anymore.

The gallery has also a voting function and it would help if you vote on the picture from 1-10, this will help to display the more interesting ones in more priviliged places in the future.
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Wiki is working: http://www.diamondaviators.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

It would be nice to get some suggestions what to add there. Most interesting would be POHs, I believe.
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gary »

Kai wrote:Wiki is working: http://www.diamondaviators.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

It would be nice to get some suggestions what to add there. Most interesting would be POHs, I believe.
Thanks again Kai. I will start populating the wiki with technical stuff when I get enough free time.
Gary
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Kai »

Gary wrote: Thanks again Kai. I will start populating the wiki with technical stuff when I get enough free time.
Gary
Thanks again, Gary :) There is no rush and meanwhile I will try to find some pre-flight checklists and add a few of you guys to the moderation team of the Wiki. I didn't want to leave it open to everyone as I think that the contents in an aviation-wiki are safety-relevant.