Wiki

A place for you to give us feedback on the site, what's working well, and what other features you'd like to see

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Re: Wiki

Post by Gary »

Kai wrote:
Rick wrote:Turn your coder loose on that one, Kai!
done.

Regarding the Wiki: for me a Wiki is something different than a link collection. A Wiki has own content, a link collection has not. Generally, I don't like saying "We have a Wiki" when we only have a collection of links, although they are good and important.

Now, at another site we all know, they use the term "Association" and they try everything not to be. We are far away from this, but I would like to try to stick to a principle that the user will get what he can expect. IMHO and as long as we don't have our own content, the links are a valid placeholder.

To make things easier to understand regarding Search Engine Optimization (SEO): for google and pagerank issues, it is always better to have own unique content. Therefore, a Wiki with own content positively affects the traffic we can expect from Google. Also, it is better to have more links directing to us than to others or at least have a balanced relation of both.
Should we make a new heading for the links to the technical publications? Not everybody can find the links to these publications easily so I would like to keep them unless it would cause a big problem. The list of current service bulletins is an example of what should be easily accessible. I believe that it they may help make this site a valuable resource for the average Diamond pilot or owner. We can start working on original content for the Wiki but I am not sure what we should put there. Any suggestions?
Gary
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Kai wrote:Regarding the Wiki: for me a Wiki is something different than a link collection. A Wiki has own content, a link collection has not. Generally, I don't like saying "We have a Wiki" when we only have a collection of links, although they are good and important.
I agree with you, Kai - overall, the Wiki needs to be more then just a collection of links. But I also see the link collection Gary has posted as a very valuable resource, and even something we might want to grow over time as members find additional high-value online resources. What other options do we have as far as where to collect these links on this site? Should there just be a forum topic for resource links? Or maybe an entry under "Quick Links" called "Resources" or something? Could any of these solutions be implemented such that they are only visible to "members" (i.e. NOT visible to search bots) to keep from negatively affecting our search ranking?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Gary wrote: Should we make a new heading for the links to the technical publications? Not everybody can find the links to these publications easily so I would like to keep them unless it would cause a big problem.
The links, as I might not have said clear enough, are good and valuable. So it is good to have them, but maybe at another place. Also, for right now they are o.k. as a filler in the Wiki. In the long run we would need a links-page or some publications-page. Unfortunately, we have the problem that we have nearly no backlinks and give out quite many. Further down, Rick has given the solution :)
Gary wrote:We can start working on original content for the Wiki but I am not sure what we should put there. Any suggestions?
Gary
Gary, this is a bit complicated. I am a pilot with less than 2 years of flying experience and don't feel I am capable of teaching others anything.

Most of you guys are professionals in one or another field, so maybe it would be good if you'd work on something where it relates to your expertise (aviation medicine, engine choice on a DA40, etc... ) . This is my idea and I am very open to others.
Rick wrote: But I also see the link collection Gary has posted as a very valuable resource, and even something we might want to grow over time as members find additional high-value online resources.
I agree.
Rick wrote: What other options do we have as far as where to collect these links on this
site?
Not too many. As said above, we could make a special links-page or a Diamond-documentation page. Now that the links are there, we will keep them somewhere or right there where they are for the time being, IMHO.
Rick wrote:Should there just be a forum topic for resource links? Or maybe an entry under "Quick Links" called "Resources" or something?
IMHO, a good idea.
Rick wrote:Could any of these solutions be implemented such that they are only visible to "members" (i.e. NOT visible to search bots) to keep from negatively affecting our search ranking?
A very good idea and I guess this would definitely be the solution.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)