Current IFR rating?

Group opinion recorded by the community.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Current IFR rating

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 74
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N454M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Current IFR rating?

Post by Boatguy »

dant wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:31 amHis comment was that the FAA _really really_ wants you to think about and plan your fuel usage, and have a solid plan "B".
I think that's correct and the alternate language was created when the FAA was focused on fuel exhaustion accidents.
p3dave
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N321CK
Airports: 82J

Re: Current IFR rating?

Post by p3dave »

dant wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:31 am
There is very little aircraft equipment in the regs required for IFR. Check out what part 91 does NOT require what we all take as normal.
My end of course examiner for my IR had an interesting observation - he asked me to compare how onerous the regs were for currency vs alternates, noting that no one believes the currency regs for IR/PPL privileges are sufficient for proficiency. However for alternates, there's this slew of regulation with respect to weather, fuel, minimums at your alternate, alternate mins at the alternate, alternate not available, GPS approaches at both, etc. His comment was that the FAA _really really_ wants you to think about and plan your fuel usage, and have a solid plan "B".

I found it interesting.
! are an important part of any IFR flight plan that requires them and in the 121/135 world, the alternate rules are more complex than 91. In airline flying where they measure the cost to "tanker" fuel in 3 decimal points, dispatch is looking to give you the least amount of fuel they can but a good Captain is looking to take as much as they can just in case. The alternate rules look at ceilings and visibilities but there are other reasons you may not be able to land at your destination, such as winds. It's good to always have a backup as no plan survives first contact with the enemy! Another point is that the alternate in your flight plan is what you put in it at the time, that doesn't mean when you need alternate you have to go there. Many times when you are at that point another airport makes more sense and you just tell ATC that is where you are going to go.