3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arthur
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: GIIM
Airports: CYKA

DA20 with MT Prop STC - Low RPM?

Post by thefoxx »

Hello,
As a disclaimer, please forgive me - I'm still learning the technical aspects of aviation and performance.

I have owned my 2001 DA-20 for just under a year now - it came with the MT Prop that the previous owner had installed. For me, the actual performance of the aircraft seems normal (takeoff, climb, cruise, etc) but my question is about the RPM's that I should be reading upon take-off, etc. I don't have anything else to compare it to.

On take-off with full power, I can only seem to get a max of about 2100-2200RPM (has been this way since I received it). I'm just wondering what the experience of other DA20 owners who have the MT prop might be getting for RPM Performance upon takeoff or if mine is an anomaly?
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Re: DA20 with MT Prop STC - Low RPM?

Post by Pascal »

I will give a call to my flight school tomorrow morning. They are operating a 1999 DA20-C1 with an MT propeller. I'll get back to you. Also, did you have someone check your tach? It is not unheard of to have the rpm reading 100-150 rpm lower than the actual propeller speed.
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by thefoxx »

Pascal wrote:I will give a call to my flight school tomorrow morning. They are operating a 1999 DA20-C1 with an MT propeller. I'll get back to you. Also, did you have someone check your tach? It is not unheard of to have the rpm reading 100-150 rpm lower than the actual propeller speed.
Thanks for the reply! That is the next check is to see if it is an adjustment in the tach, or fault tach possibly? I just wanted to see if any other operators had similar readings.

I appreciate your help!
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Pascal »

Enrik confirmed this morning that the 2200 RPM you are seeing is perfectly normal with an MT prop, which is a cruise prop. He also says that as the airplane levels off and speeds up, the RPM eventally rises higher than that.
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

@pascal: Greetings to a fellow CYHU-based Diamond owner! Where on the airport is your plane located?

@thefoxx: are you seeing take off distances in line with the AFM numbers?

I learned to fly on a DA20-C1 and remember 2400-2500rpm during the take-off roll. Not sure what prop it had though.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Pascal »

Charles wrote:@pascal: Greetings to a fellow CYHU-based Diamond owner! Where on the airport is your plane located?
Not there yet. If all goes well I will be purchasing a DA20-C1 in April. The plane is currently parked on a grass strip which is covered with snow. So the plan is to visit the plane as soon as the grass strip is useable, have its annual done at the same time as a prepurchase inspection, and if there arenèt any major bugs with the airplane, I purchase it.
keithPTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Airports: KFFC

Post by keithPTC »

2000-2200 static takeoff rpm is normal with the MT Propeller installed. See the attached MT Propeller STC limitations page.
Attachments
MT Prop - Airplane Flight Manual Supplement.pdf
(205.32 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by thefoxx »

Great. Thank you all for your help. I think I've determined that everything is pretty normal from what I've experienced! Hope this information might help people in the future as well.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Same here, my DA-20 has the MT prop and my mighty IO-240B gets about 2200'ish on initial roll. I'm also not too far from Deland Florida where MT-prop USA is located. I went over there a few months ago to get new stickers so I could sand and repaint my entire prop. I discussed overhauls with them (which are done "on condition"). Bottom line - my prop was looking fine and so long as it gets a little TLC it will not need an overhaul any time soon. They do have loaners if you needed to keep your bird flying while they overhaul (about 6 weeks downtime).