4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

New Rotax Oil Filter

Post by krellis »

Rotax has released a new oil filter, P/N 825 012, that is 3.4 mm longer than the filter it replaced. If you have ever changed the oil and filter on your A1 Katana, you know how tight the clearance is to the exhaust header especially with the exhaust wrap in place. During my last oil change, I had to loosen the exhaust header and move it out of the way to replace the filter. Now I know why.

I contacted Diamond Canada and they are aware of the issue. Diamond Austria has redesigned the exhaust system to accommodate the new filter, but Diamond Canada is still reviewing the change. They gave no indication whether or not they will do the same.

Aside from being much more difficult to complete, this forces owners to utilize an A&P for oil changes given the need to move the exhaust header. Hopefully, there will be an inexpensive solution forthcoming.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: New Rotax Oil Filter

Post by Steve »

Time to buy a case of the old-style filters...
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by krellis »

Yes, except the filters were updated 5/24/11, so it is unlikely that any old stock will still be around.
Alex
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Al
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Aircraft Registration: N858DF
Airports: KTOA

Post by Alex »

I am having my cracked canopy replaced and when it comes back I'll be due for an oil change. I haven't opened the new filter box yet to see the bigger size, but after doing several successful oil changes, I also hate to have to involve a mechanic from now on.

On another subject, you mentioned something about "exhaust wrap". I know it's supposed to be there, but I have never seen a Katana wrapped up. Any chance you could post a picture of yoiur engine so I can have my mechanic take care if it for me?
Attachments
Bare Exhaust Pipes
Bare Exhaust Pipes
BarePipes.jpg (102.58 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
Al GIbbs
DA20-A1 N858DF KTOA
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by krellis »

I don't have a current picture, but here is the link to the Diamond Service Bulletin that describes the exhaust wrap - http://www.diamondaircraft.com/library/ ... proved.pdf

I'll try to find a picture to attach but hopefully this will give your A&P enough detail.

Krea Ellis
N853DF
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by krellis »

Disappointed, but not surprised.

Finally, all these years later, I get the word from Diamond Canada. "At this time we will not be moving forward with any changes to the DA20A1 exhaust installation." To their credit, they gave me part numbers for an HK36 three piece exhaust riser, but I have no idea if this solves the oil filter clearance problem or will even fit on my DA20-A1. Further, they won't give me an NTO letter nor installation drawings. Great.

So it only adds to my belief that Diamond is mostly interested in the latest shiny object and when they no longer produce your airplane model, they will pretty much abandon you. I've been told that my perceptions are not reality, but I think they are, at least for the A1 Katana.