2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: tomb
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N289HF
Airports: TE01

My sincere apologies for the past DA-20 thread

Post by tomb »

To Kai and the board members I do apologize. I did not realize my inquiry about what mechanical or inspection issues to look for when purchasing a DA-20 was close enough to an offer or a solicitation of an offer to be of concern to Kai. I was aware of the rule against making offers to purchase or sell aircraft and in my mind made a distinction between my request for information and an offer. I was mistaken.

Kai sent me a scolding email and perhaps he should have done just that. Its certainly within his rights as moderator.

Again, I do apologize and I will make sure any future posting do not concern anything about purchasing an aircraft.

Regards,

Tom
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Re: My sincere apologies for the past DA-20 thread

Post by rwtucker »

Tom,

FWIIW, I did not take your post to be a solicitation. I took it just as you said above. I value the contributions of DAN members, many of whom know a lot more than I know about these things. If I were buying I would want the advice of DAN members about what I should look for in terms of possible damage, lack of maintenance, etc. I can offer those kinds of tips for aircraft types I fly but I am a complete novice on the DA20.

Having said this, I value Kai's management of our business rules. I think DAN is as useful as it is because of his leadership. I'm sure he must feel that he has to walk a fine line at times.

I'm not trying to be a diplomat. Every now and then, the good conflicts with the good. Not a big deal. Here's to all of us keeping our greasy sides down.
bcocheran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brad
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N373AM
Airports: KELK

Post by bcocheran »

Well, after reading that, may I shouldn't post these questions, but I will anyway.

I have a DA 20 we are using for training. We are looking to add one to two more. I notice many on the market at around 3500 hours TTAF.

Are there inspections or something major that pops up around these hours? Where would be a good place to look up Compliances lists for the DA20? Life limited parts (wings, etc...)?

Thanks for the answers in advance!
Brad Cocheran (KELK)
N373AM (2005 Diamond DA20)
N951TB (2006 Piper Meridian)
and several others...

Former:
N216DG (G1000) (40.698) - KELK
N108LC (G1000) 2013 SR22T
N835SR (Avidyne) 2006 SR22
Diamond13
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Registration: CYXU
Airports: CYXU

Post by Diamond13 »

Brad, only life-limited parts on the DA20-C1 are the rudder cables, 3000 hours/10years. Of course the engine/shock mounts have a 2000 TBO. All inspections are generally the same, 100 hour, 1000 hour etc up to 6000 hours, at which time a major airframe inspection is carried out. There are many C1's out there with hours in excess of 13,000.
bcocheran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brad
Aircraft Registration: N373AM
Airports: KELK

Post by bcocheran »

Hello Robert, thanks for the reply! All I could find was similar information, but I wanted to be sure!
Brad Cocheran (KELK)
N373AM (2005 Diamond DA20)
N951TB (2006 Piper Meridian)
and several others...

Former:
N216DG (G1000) (40.698) - KELK
N108LC (G1000) 2013 SR22T
N835SR (Avidyne) 2006 SR22
jkadel
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Registration: N223DC
Airports: KPMH

Re: DA 20 Rudder Cables Replacement

Post by jkadel »

My AP/AI insisted the DA20 rudder cable limits are every 1000 hours - I could not convince him otherwise. I could not have the annual signed off unless the rudder cables were replaced. Can you tell me where to find the 3000 hours/10 years documentation? Thanks, Jim K.
Diamond13
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Registration: CYXU
Airports: CYXU

Post by Diamond13 »

you will find that information in the Maintenance Manual for your aircraft, chapter 4, page 4, Limitations
jkadel
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Registration: N223DC
Airports: KPMH

Post by jkadel »

Robert: Thanks for the info regarding the mandated replacement of DA20 rudder cables. Ironically, the AP/AI person was correct in mandating replacement - however for the wrong reason. The aircraft is now 10 years old which requires replacement of cables - the AP/AI said it was due to the 1000 hour limit. Jim K.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Another aspect of purchasing a DA-20 will be figuring out what Service Bulletins were done. Both Diamond and Contential Engines have SBs - assessing if they were done should affect your decision on the aircraft's maintainence record. It is also a negotiation tool if you can see significant SBs that were not done. I updated a spreadsheet last year I use for my annual - it lists all the SB for the airframe and engine. I recommend you download and review as you look though the logbook of a prospective aircraft you are considering buying. Search for my post Oct 2016 under "Looking for annual help"

A couple of other items - was a IRAN done on the magnetos within last 500 hours (~$1000 cost) and the status of the fire paint on the inside of the cowling and aircraft belly. Both would be negotiation items if they need to be done.

Buying a Diamond is always a good decision, buying one for the right price takes research and negotiation skills. Good luck!
Spinner
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: lots
Airports: CYQM CYFC CYYR CYTH

Post by Spinner »

Have a good look at the aircraft for any hidden composite damage. Also beware of improper repairs carried out to fix composite damage.
If you have a set of rudder cables that have been replaced ensure that the new set is assembled properly. We are allowed to build our own cables in Canada. Having said that we have found some pretty sad looking cables that even though they had lots of time remaining on them needed to be replaced again.
With the rudder cable replace the "S" tubes and quite often the rudder pedals have to be replaced because they are worn or cracked (which is another premium hard to get item from Diamond). The s tubes wear from the inside out especially on older machines.
As mentioned fire paint, nose gear shock strut. Check the clearance between the nose wheel and the bottom of the strut you should be able to fit at least a nickle or quarter. Nose wheel yoke for cracks very common even in the 'improved' fork. Play in the upper attachment for the nose strut.
Hope it helps and does not discourage. I think at last count we were up over 43 DA20-C1's so we seem to like them. Two are over 13,000 hours and one is at 14,300.