keithPTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Airports: KFFC

DA20-C1: using the pop-out scoops on vent windows

Post by keithPTC »

Regarding the pop-out scoops on the vent windows... How robust are the hinges on these while taxiing around at lower engine RPM? Can they withstand the air blast from a 1700 RPM engine run-up?

The DA20 AFM only warns against having them open in flight.

Since we bought the aircraft last year we have never used them after hearing anecdotal stories of them breaking off the aircraft while still taxiing on the ground. Thoughts, advice?
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

Re: DA20-C1: using the pop-out scoops on vent windows

Post by Derek »

Hi Keith
I use mine all the time on my Da20. On hot days I keep them open from the moment I close the canopy until takeoff and sometimes I'll open one just before landing, never with a problem for the past 5 years. Maybe just make sure that you're not missing a screw or something in the hinge that could cause extra loading. You can also open the 'bigger' window and use your hand to deflect wind into the cockpit - that allows even more air in.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Keith,
I'm a bit south of KFFC - i.e. hot-hot-Florida - so I also feel the summertime heat the instant you close the canopy. So I used my pop-out windows all the time during all ground ops including my run-up. In spite of the AFM, I've also been known to close them on climb-out (i.e. post takeoff) - with the wind noise across my headset microphone reminding me to close them before getting up to higher cruise speeds. Bottom line - I associate their deployment in concert with flap deployment. On takeoff, flaps to cruise, vents to close - on landing, flaps to landing, vents open. ...and, right or wrong, they have never departed the aircraft on me.

However, my one recommendation is to carefully inspect the clear plastic to clear plastic joint between the hinge door and the hinge arm - to include using a magnifying glass and look for any hairline fractures. One of those joints was actually broken when I bought my aircraft and the little plastic door was only being held by one hinge. Luckily it was wintertime and I had not been using the vent windows yet. I was able to re-glue the joint (vice replacing) and it has been solid ever since (three summers now). Because it happened prior to my first summer, the broken hinge joint was not attributable to my practice of having them out during <Vfe speeds (78 knots).

Per Derek's recommendation on the sliding window, also a great method. My daughter frequently opens the sliding window and uses my Checkmate checklist to deflect the prop blast into the cabin (normally while holding short of a r/w for an extended amount of time). After a couple of summers it was semi-destroyed and I needed to replace the checklist - but quite frankly, it was worth it...
keithPTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports: KFFC

Post by keithPTC »

Thanks guys! Will give the pop-outs a try tonight.
Peter Cecil
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N276DC
Airports: KSTJ

Post by Peter Cecil »

Well my pop-out scoop broke off at the hinge today. Opened it while taxiing. Do you think I can find one without having to buy the whole thing.........anyone have any suggestions as to alternative suppliers. Nothing at Diamond Ontario, Great Lakes. Had a great deal of help from Premier but no luck yet.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

I have an A1 and have often considered adding the pop-out side vent windows from a C1 - I beleive the form factor of the window to be the same. They are also very similar, if not identical, to the windows on many gliders.

Have you checked out this source? http://wingsandwheels.com/aircraft-part ... scoop.html

Krea Ellis
DA20-A1 Princess Amelia
DA40-XLS Sold!
RV-10 Under Construction
Peter Cecil
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N276DC
Airports: KSTJ

Post by Peter Cecil »

Keith, thank you I shall look into your suggestion.