3 Diamonds Member
First Name: jerry
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Aircraft Registration: N175LE
Airports: KFUL

nose wheel turns in flight pn 681-221 or AM155204

Post by katanajer »

Hi guys,

I my nose wheel turns in flight. found it's the tension with the spring disc. mine are flat and have no spring in it anymore.

part numbers in canada is 681-221 and in the US equivalent cross reference is AM155204. My problem is they only sell with a minimum of $100.

does anyone have extras i can buy? I only need 2 and dont want to buy 4000 washer disc springs.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Re: nose wheel turns in flight pn 681-221 or AM155204

Post by RMarkSampson »

Not sure about the quantity issue. I recently bought 2 from Premier Aircraft Services (Diamond Svc Center in Fort Lauderdale). Part number on my invoice is 681-271, Description: "Disc Spring, DIN 2093 AM-281015. Believe they needed to get it from Diamond in Ontario. Cost per is $2.47 for a total cost of $4.94.

I replaced mine to address a nose wheel shimmy problem on landing. Just not sure if these spring washers prevent the nose wheel turning in flight. Believe the slipstream due to the propeller rotation is just not perfectly aligned with the lateral axis of the plane where the nose wheel hangs - thus it aligns slightly off center. I believe those spring washers are really only going to have an impact on keeping the castellated nut on the end of that strut to keep the fork from departing the aircraft if the dynamic forces of a bad landing exceed the strength of that threaded stud.

Here is a good definition of a spring washer to ponder: Spring washers are employed in applications where assemblies need a part to take up play, eliminate rattle, maintain assembly tension, compensate for expansion or contraction in materials after assembly, or to absorb intermittent shock loads and provide a controlled reaction under dynamic loads.
katanajer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: jerry
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Aircraft Registration: N175LE
Airports: KFUL

Re: nose wheel turns in flight pn 681-221 or AM155204

Post by katanajer »

thanks mark. i'll give it a try.