1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N276DC
Airports: KSTJ

cockpit & intrument lights

Post by Peter Cecil »

I flew my 2008 DA20 C1 at night for the first time last night. I love this little aircraft, it is so much fun. But, for a reasonably modern aircraft the cockpit, instrument, taxi and landing lights are hopeless. The Aspen PFD and Garmin 430 light up like neon signs. The rest is sorely lacking. Has anyone else experienced this. Is there a fix?
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Re: cockpit & intrument lights

Post by krellis »

If the C1 has only the basically useless dome mounted white and red lights (behind the pilot's head on the overhead) like the A1 - our cure was to install Whelen LED post lights around the instrument panel. If you also have VDO engine gauges like the A1, we installed VDO sockets with LED bulbs (the gauges have the receptacles on the back for the sockets) and we tied all of the lighting through a three circuit PWM dimmer control from Aircraft Spruce - one circuit for the post lights, one for the radio stack and one for the engine gauges.

It made a world of difference and allowed an old guy like me with poor night vision to actually enjoy flying the airplane at night.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... key=216626

Oh and we installed a XeVision 35W HID landing light using a 337. That was probably the best mod ever.
Peter Cecil
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N276DC
Airports: KSTJ

Post by Peter Cecil »

Trellis, thank you.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Peter,
I'm with you - night flights in the DA-20 are just plain fun.

There is a Service Bulletin for the strip light over the panel for a Replacement EL Flood Light. The SB has a kit P/N DAC1-33-02AMK0 and runs about $520. This will keep your C1 "to spec." I have one on order to replace the old panel flood light that recently died - I don't know how it will perform until I get it delivered and installed.

The Garmin 430 has a light sensor in it that suppose to dim when it is dark outside. My 1999 DA-20-C1 has a dual stack of Garmin 430's - one dims automatically, the other does not (not sure why other than the light sensor does not work). You can dim your 430 when you startup by manually changing the backlighting intensity: From the AUX page, select ‘Display’ then rotate the large knob to go from "Auto" to "Manual" and use the small knob to dim the display - a value of 200-300 usually does it for me. Once you power down the unit - it should reset itself back to Auto.

The other lights in my panel are controlled by a dimmer switch which works fairly well. My only complaint is the Engine Management System is a bit too bright after adjusting the dimmer setting to best see the 6-pack. I've considered having using some of that flexible sunshade translucent material to cover the EMS to darken it but I have not tried it out - it might work for your Aspen if you can't figure anything else out.

Outside, the stock incandescent taxi and landing lights were totally inadequate - and in my opinion unsafe. Replaced them with the Whelen 71685 Series LED Recognition/Landing light assembly (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/el/ ... 771685.php). That minor alt will definitely brighten things on the left side of the aircraft. Also leave them on during the day as they are not prone to burnouts. The right side of the aircraft is still dark so I always favor left turns off the runway to the taxiway when I get a vote.

Finally, I have a SMITH & WESSON GALAXY 12 LED FLASHLIGHT which leave one single red LED light on during my entire night flight but I tuck the flashlight into the seat cushion so I don't see it (ok, I tuck it into my crotch). Anyway, a quick grab and I can light up any part of the cockpit - very handy when I need to punch in a new squawk code.

Enjoy your DA-20 night view - it is spectacular!
Wishing you "Black Skies" - Mark
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arthur
Aircraft Registration: GIIM
Airports: CYKA

Post by thefoxx »

Reviving an older thread, but how did the installation of the Instrument EL Flood lights improve your interior lighting, mark?

I need to do something about mine!
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by RMarkSampson »

Flood SB was installed a year ago and it does a nice job of lighting up the knobs and panel - but not the instruments themselves. Each instrument is internally lit and on a separate dimmer.

I did have one issue with the install. The fiberglass mount Diamond sent me was incorrectly manufactured so I sent it back to them. I made my own with fiberglass cloth and resin. I made a jig to create the indents in the cloth that the floodlight strip fits into.

Here are a couple of videos of night flights. One before the install, one after (also after I installed the EDM-900 engine management system). Hard to see the flood lighting over all the iPad and iPhone screens but the flood really does a nice job of lighting up the radio/GPS stack buttons.
https://youtu.be/-JlexPlXq-M
https://youtu.be/5s21SQPlE1E
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

I just purchased a flexible strip of red leds at my local geek store (MasterVox). 25$ for I believe 15 feet long or so. The strip can be cut to the desired length. It is maybe 2mm thick.

The strip has a self adhesive backing and a connector to which I plugged a led dimmer and then to a 140$ portable car battery producing 12 volts. The car battery also has a flashlight and a USB port to provide power to my iPad or cell phone.

I will tape 3-4 feet of the led strip to the underside of the glare shield and I will have my AME connect it to the airplane's 12 volt power.

I am also having a 2.1a USB port panel mounted on the left side for the iPad and a 1a USB port panel monted on the right side of the panel for the phone.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by RMarkSampson »

Sounds like a excellent affordable solution on the panel lighting. I only put in one 2-port USB on the right side where my old EMS use to be located. However, I did drill a hole next to the USB port big enough to fit an iPhone lighting connector tip through. I then ran a 1-M Apple power cord from the USB, into the hole, behind the panel, and have the lightning end come out under the panel by the pilot’s left knee. That powers my iPhone which I suction cup to the canopy. A rubber grommet fills in the excess space in the oversized hole to make the install look clean. So with one USB connector I can now power both my iPad and my iPhone - which is a great safety upgrade because both those devices display my traffic in flight.
hogster50
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Darren
Aircraft Registration: N441Z
Airports: KSCH

Post by hogster50 »

I'm going to look into the following. FIBERLITE INSTRUMENT LIGHTING SYSTEM .Fiber optic lighting ribbon around gauge. The dome light works but not very well. also the Whelen landing light mentioned.
YCCA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

Post by YCCA »

The cheapest and easiest fix is to wear a headlamp