4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Rotax TBO

Post by krellis »

A gentleman interested in our DA20-A1 has been advised by Lockwood that the 10 year/1200-1500-2000 hour TBO (found in Part 5 of the AMM) is mandatory, because it's on a certified airplane.

I've tried to explain that only Chapter 4 items (Airworthiness) are mandatory. Service bulletins are only mandatory if the FAA issues an AD. The FAA Advisory Circular AC20-105b says that TBO is not mandatory for Part 91 operators. It is for Part 135.

Does anyone out there have anything else definitive? I know that Rotax just had a contest for the highest time 912 and it was pushing 4000 hours and with a Flight School - so the whole TBO requirement seems to be debunked, at least anecdotally.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Rotax TBO

Post by CFIDave »

You are absolutely correct -- Chapter 5 in Diamond AMMs is listed as an "Unapproved Chapter" because what the manufacturer recommends there hasn't been reviewed by regulators (unlike Chapter 4 that is mandatory for airworthiness).

My understanding is that TBOs are mandatory in Europe, so this could be an issue if the plane were exported there.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Re: Rotax TBO

Post by krellis »

Thanks for the verification.

I talked to Dean Vogel at Lockwood, who is a known authority on most things Rotax 912. He agreed that TBO's are "guidelines" not "rules" for Part 91 operators in the U.S.

The gentleman is a first time buyer and I applaud his thoroughness and verification of the rules. My issue is with the folks providing misleading or inaccurate information.