3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arthur
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: GIIM
Airports: CYKA

Theoretical Situation: Forced approach and Nose over

Post by thefoxx »

As I was reading the latest Bold Method article regarding various landing scenarios given a forced approach situation. Got me thinking if I as faced with that situation and my DA20 (or a DA40 for that matter) nosed over landing in a rough field and we were stuck upside down. I know Diamond gave us a nice little hammer to use, but really, is it realistic to think we would be able to get out? I would think possibly that the canopy would shatter with a nose over anyhow (hope the shark plastic doesn't slice me!), but what about if it didn't?

What do you more experience Diamond Aviators think based on theory or possible actual scenarios that might have happened?

Should we maybe upgrade our hammers to something more substantial?
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: Theoretical Situation: Forced approach and Nose over

Post by Karl »

With a bit of adrenaline flowing your foot or even fist will break the plastic without too much difficulty.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

The DA40 has an emergency exit that works inverted. No idea how to get out of an inverted DA20 though.

I know of one case of a Robin DR400 that nosed over.
This aircraft has a sliding canopy and the POH says it should be opened in preparation for emergency landings. It wasn't. The two crew members were initially unharmed. They did try to break the plexiglass but couldn't.
Spinner
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: lots
Airports: CYQM CYFC CYYR CYTH

Post by Spinner »

Although not involved personally I have seen the aftermath of an upside down DA20. The dinky little canopy tool you can leave in the back as it will shatter into pieces before even scratching the canopy. Your best weapon would be the metal control lock stick or invest in a decent small fire axe.
If you put a fire ax in remember that it has to be secured properly.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

We were required (by our group) to carry a large axe with us on our trip through Alaska. If escaping after an accident is a concern, I think you really have no other choice. This is what was recommended (among other similar items):
http://www.bestglide.com/vtac.html
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Our DA42-VI shipped from the Diamond factory with a really sharp little axe that fits into a bracket installed on the underside/front of the right seat. It would easily destroy a plexiglass canopy.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arthur
Aircraft Registration: GIIM
Airports: CYKA

Post by thefoxx »

I think this is the best idea - a small axe and to have it well secured in a place easily accessible. The hammer provided might be good for tapping in finishing nails!

on Diamonds website, they have a very nice page on safety, crash testing and several accidents which involve the the Diamond line of Aircaft and lots of pictures.
http://www.diamondaircraft.com/about-di ... -features/

Thanks everyone for your contribution!

Spinner wrote:Although not involved personally I have seen the aftermath of an upside down DA20. The dinky little canopy tool you can leave in the back as it will shatter into pieces before even scratching the canopy. Your best weapon would be the metal control lock stick or invest in a decent small fire axe.
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Karl »

One aircraft manufacturer I know of provided the type of emergency hammer you find sold for cars. Belt cutter in the handle and small pointed hammer head. These are designed to be used on a car window and when we tested it on a junk canopy it just left small chips in the surface and not much else. Of course upside down with the weight of the aircraft on the canopy it may be a different story but I am not convinced.
It is very difficult to get into a position to swing anything with any force when in a GA cockpit. Upside down it would be ever more difficult.
I think you would be able to generate a much greater force with your leg, especially when aimed at an area of reduced strength such as a the corner of DV window or close to the bonded edge.
I am probably going to be replacing a windscreen on a DA42 soon, it is recommended to smash it so I will let you know how difficult it is.
Spinner
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Spinner »

thefoxx wrote:I think this is the best idea - a small axe and to have it well secured in a place easily accessible. The hammer provided might be good for tapping in finishing nails!

on Diamonds website, they have a very nice page on safety, crash testing and several accidents which involve the the Diamond line of Aircaft and lots of pictures.

January 2014 was the accident i was referring to. If I could post a picture I would show you what the little hammer looked like afterwords.
Spinner wrote:Although not involved personally I have seen the aftermath of an upside down DA20. The dinky little canopy tool you can leave in the back as it will shatter into pieces before even scratching the canopy. Your best weapon would be the metal control lock stick or invest in a decent small fire axe.
Spinner
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Spinner »

Spinner wrote:
thefoxx wrote:I think this is the best idea - a small axe and to have it well secured in a place easily accessible. The hammer provided might be good for tapping in finishing nails!

January 2014 was the accident i was referring to. If I could post a picture I would show you what the little hammer looked like afterwords.
escape hammer.JPG