4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Replacement of the EBC502 ELT with the Artex ME406 ELT

Post by RMarkSampson »

Has anyone done the ME406 ELT installation Service Bulletin on their DA-20? Service Bulletin No.: DAC1-25-01 Rev 3

Every two years I replace the battery on my EBC502 - which I just did. Each time the wiring between the battery and the EBC gets a little shorter and, in my mind, more brittle and less reliable. I solder the wires to ensure the best contact possible but the battery connection is definitely not "robust" in my opinion - for something that is suppose to work after a high-g impact. This time, on the second flight after replacing the battery I found the ELT was squawking upon startup. Not sure when it decided to go active - I cannot reproduce the inadvertent activation nor can I determine exactly when the ELT declared an emergency. I'm thinking the g-switch may have not been fully seated and armed after the OPCheck. Happily SAR aircraft did not start circling my hangar. No matter, it got me thinking about the conversion to the ARTEX ME406 - the Cospas/Sarsat signal would certainly be a nice safety upgrade.
Spinner
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: lots
Airports: CYQM CYFC CYYR CYTH

Re: Replacement of the EBC502 ELT with the Artex ME406 ELT

Post by Spinner »

Not sure exactly but my last check we had installed 34 of these ELT's in our aircraft. It requires a little metal and composite work to install the ELT bracket but everything except the filler/paste is provided with the kit. We are finding it a necessity because of the lack of batteries for the EBC502 and failures of them.
If I had a beef with the 406 install, it is with the antenna which has an extremely small ground plane and sometimes gives an antenna fault when testing the ELT. They take an external antenna and mount it inside the baggage compartment jammed against the back wall and ceiling.
Overall though we have had good luck with the new 406 ELT's. Ours are not tied to the GPS but it is an option that you can do with this ELT. It brings the location of your aircraft from a few miles to less than a mile. The 406 ELT's also cut down on the amount of false alarms that SAR people have to deal with. By registering your 406 it gives them someone to call prior to sending out the SAR birds.

Paul
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I'm not sure about Canada but here in the US it's required that you register with SARSAT if you have a 406. Coincidentally, I just renewed mine this morning. Super painless if nothing (e.g., contact info) changes. Got an email, clicked on the email link, click on the "yep, s'all good, man" on the webpage, get emailed the renewed cert. as PDF.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Spinner
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Spinner »

It is the same in Canada for us. As a business they ask us to check our contacts to make sure they have not changed at least once a year. One of the things I preach to everyone is that if you have an accidental activation of your ELT make sure to let your nearest ATC centre know about it. Odds are that no matter how fast you are to turn it off, someone has heard it and reported it. They would rather know it is a false alarm than wonder if someone is missing.
Attached a few pictures of the install. You can see the antenna bracket. The new ELT's have a metal latch instead of the velcro strap. The plugs basically wires the ELT to a warning buzzer mounted below the antenna.

The wiring was provided in the kit which shows there is not a lot of excess material provided.

Paul
Attachments
photo5.JPG
photo(3a).JPG
IMG-20130816-00097.jpg
IMG-20130816-00095.jpg
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Paul and Rich,
I'm sold on the upgrade -in my opinion it is simply the right thing to do. Appreciate the feedback.

The GPS signal might be a bridge to far (or not worth the accuracy increase) for me - more research is needed, and probably would require an avionics shop to determine a solutions. Serial ports on my two GNS-430s are already interfaced with an ADC, Stormscope, a Sandel 3308 and now a EDM-900. Both GPS units previously showed computed wind vectors, but when my avionics shop recently interfaced the EDM-900 to GPS (engine datalog now has position data along with all the engine performance numbers) - now only one GNS-430 displays a wind vector. I'm simply running out of serial ports. I do have an GDL84 ADS-B solution which has an integrated WAAS GPS built in - perhaps it has a serial port that can provide GPS to the ELT.

I don't see it in the Service Bulletin, but did any of your installs include the ARTEX remote switch? I see where the ARTEX can include a remote switch mounted into the instrument panel. I'm guessing that the buzzer was the quick way to provide an aural warning for activation vice the light on the remote switch.

Finally for my usual stomping grounds around Florida, the possibility of ditching also has me thinking that I may want to egress with my ELT in hand. So how fast could you remove the unit, to include the antenna you need to xmit a signal? The antenna looks like it screws on and off - thus not a grab and go effort.
Spinner
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Spinner »

Hey Mark:

One factor in our not connecting a GPS was the cost of wiring it into the system. It also meant that an Avionics shop would be involved rather than being able to do it ourselves.

None of our installs included a remote switch on the panel. I think that Diamond figured because the ELT was within reach (sort of) that a remote was not required. There is also a flashing light on the ELT facing the pilot that warns when it is activated.

The artex doesn't (to the best of my knowledge) have a portable use. Removing it and the antenna from a sinking ship would be quite entertaining if not impossible. The wires and antenna are fairly well secured against the tray and would take some time to disconnect.

Another peeve I have with this install is that when a student fires the chocks back into the baggage compartment the biggest target back there is the front face of the ELT with the big connector and switch. We have had a few damaged by this means.

Paul