1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Daryl
Aircraft Type: DA20
Aircraft Registration: GNIKK
Airports: EGKR

Flap control module lamps

Post by Dakkman »

The DA20 flap control unit has three indicator lamps which are four segment flush mount LEDs. I have a module upon which some of these lamps have failed segments. DAI do not stock the LEDs and they advised me to contact White Wire who make the units for DAI. I tried to contact White Wire but have had no response to my enquiries. Has anyone found a source for these LEDs or an alternative?
CWS
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Cyril
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N146DR
Airports: FASD

Re: Flap control module lamps

Post by CWS »

I thought I had the same problem, pulled the unit but avionics company couldn't find the fault. Put it back & the unit eventually started working again? I subsequently discovered that if the cabin lighting is switched on the led's dim to the extent that they can't be seen in daylight & that was the problem. Worth checking.
Dakkman
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by Dakkman »

Thanks for your response Cyril. I have checked again. In my case there is a partial failure in some of the LEDs. They are a quite unusual four segment type that I have been unable to locate. I might just have to fit single element ones.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Related problem that I just started looking at. Occasionally my flaps do not operate correctly.  Sometimes the position light on the flap switch does not light up - sometimes they don't move to Takeoff, but then I will move the switch to Full - the flaps move and then will everything  returns to normal and I can select takeoff and the LEDs light up based on position.  I'm sure there is a couple things to blame but I was thinking the flap control switch (the IPC cites p/n WW-MR-001DFC-1298 for airframes before C0144).  Premier down in Ft Lauderdale only could quote me a price on PN WW-DFC001 for $956 which equates to the post C0144 airframes. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable? Before replacing that switch for an intermittent problem I'm going to spend time looking at connections throughout the flap system.

Thinking about your LED problem, I wonder if the flap position switch assembly might be the issue. If you look at the IPC, there are three snap action electrical switches that actuate as the flaps move - which I believe is the power source for the LEDs. If one or two switches need adjusting or are bad - you may find the culprit there. Note that when you toggle your flap switch, the LEDs do not immediately light, they only light when the flaps move into the correct position.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

I assume the C1 flap control/actuation system is similar if not identical to the A1. I had a failure of the old WW module and was able to get it repaired. I don't know if White Wire is still in business.

I've also had intermittent light/flap issues similar to what you are describing. The five microswitches are located on the switchboard attached to the flap actuator rod.. The switches are individually adjustable with screws, and the entire switchboard can be adjusted by loosening the band clamps. They switches are quite sensitive and it doesn't take much to knock them out of adjustment.

There is a really good troubleshooting guide located in the AMM that can be followed to determine which microswitch(es) are causing the issues you describe.
Dakkman
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by Dakkman »

The take off position uses different micro switches depending on whether the flaps are moving down or up. It seems likely that one of your switches, probably S2, is at fault or picked up some contamination. I'd try a squirt of switch cleaner or a new switch rather than go for the control switch.
Spinner
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: lots
Airports: CYQM CYFC CYYR CYTH

Post by Spinner »

just a quick pic of the flap actuator switches
flap switch diagram.pdf
(190.92 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
dgriffith161
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N976PA
Airports: KSPK

Post by dgriffith161 »

White Wire, who made the original flap switch and indicator light module, has gone out of business. Diamond tech support says Diamond has exhausted their supply of those and there is no repair, so if a light goes out, the whole assembly has to be replaced. With no new parts available, the only option Diamond offered is to install kit DAC1-27-04AMK0 per Service Bulletin DAC1-27-04, which involves replacing not only the the switch and indicators on the panel, but also the entire microswitch assembly on the flap motor drive and readjusting the microswitches. Diamond estimates 3 hours to do this, but a mechanic friend of mine who has done one told me it takes much longer than that. In addition, Service bulletin DAC1-33-07 has to be complied with to install a new dimmer assembly so the flap indicator lights will work when the instrument lights are on. That requires kit DAC1-33-07AMK0. Total cost of parts is upwards of $3,200.00 USD plus labor. Not a good deal in my opinion.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

dgriffith161 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:52 pmWhite Wire, who made the original flap switch and indicator light module, has gone out of business. Diamond tech support says Diamond has exhausted their supply of those and there is no repair, so if a light goes out, the whole assembly has to be replaced. With no new parts available, the only option Diamond offered is to install kit DAC1-27-04AMK0 per Service Bulletin DAC1-27-04, which involves replacing not only the the switch and indicators on the panel, but also the entire microswitch assembly on the flap motor drive and readjusting the microswitches. Diamond estimates 3 hours to do this, but a mechanic friend of mine who has done one told me it takes much longer than that. In addition, Service bulletin DAC1-33-07 has to be complied with to install a new dimmer assembly so the flap indicator lights will work when the instrument lights are on. That requires kit DAC1-33-07AMK0. Total cost of parts is upwards of $3,200.00 USD plus labor. Not a good deal in my opinion.
Does anyone know if this applies to the DA40 (and others?) as well, or just to the DA20?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

The DA40 Flap control uses incandescent indicator lamps, which are available.